09| blackout

— WARNING —

This chapter does include dark themes and strong language. Circumstances involving death are also addressed in this chapter. Please read at your own discretion.

— FOREWORD —

Was T'Challa too harsh on Devina or do you think his actions were justified during their fight? 
xx

— RECAP —

Why are you here? She questioned, riling me up as planned. All of the anger and fear and pain seemed to emit from me in waves as I stood before her, challenging her with my eyes. The second she had started to charge was the exact moment that I could feel all of my worries melting away from my body, in a very different way than before. This time, I felt absent, unable to discern my own movements as they happened in real-time. I closed my heavy eyelids, embracing the calm that poured over me as everything went black.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

"Devina! Stop! Snap out of it!" Steve's yelling voice managed to bring me back to reality

"Devina! Stop! Snap out of it!" Steve's yelling voice managed to bring me back to reality. He had been shaking my shoulders, his tight grip forcing me to pull away once I registered the pain it brought me.

It was as if I had been in some kind of daze—disoriented and confused as to what had happened in the time that I'd lost.

Following his worried gaze, I looked down and took in my own alarming appearance. There was blood on my knuckles. It became apparent to me as I realized Okoye laying stiffly in front of me, struggling to recover from a relentless and vicious attack. Dripping from her nose, there was a stream of deep red blood.

Based on the blood on my hands, I could only assume that I was responsible for her state of being. I couldn't hold in my gasp of pure shock and concern for what I had done. Shaking out of fear and shame, I could only watch as she stared at me with a spooked expression. It was as if she'd seen a ghost.

"Oh my god," I said just above a whisper, lifting my aching hands to cover my mouth. She leaned over, coughing so hard that blood now colored the soil. How could I do that to her? I don't even remember doing it...

With a frightened expression on her face, T'Challa helped return her to her feet. I turned away, no longer able to look her in the eyes. Steve furrowed his brows at me, confusion and concern clouding his own deep blue eyes. A million questions lied within his gaze, but nothing could erase the look of uncertainty that replaced it from my memory. Looking right through me, it was as if his eyes refused to recognize me.