11| give em' hell

— WARNING —

Please read at your own discretion.

FOREWORD

From here on, the POV will be changed back to a third-person perspective, just as the first book was done. Sorry if this is strange for anyone! It's for a reason! I promise!

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

[ PRESENT ]
| ATLANTA, GEORGIA |

Devina's leg shook uncontrollably beneath the table, as she tried to ward off the oncoming butterflies fluttering around wildly in her stomach

She had barely slept at all the night before, due to her and Steve talking for the most of it. He had dragged another cot into the room so that the two could sleep peacefully beside one another but it still wasn't enough to ease Devina's nerves. Although his exhaustion easily put him to sleep, her brain wouldn't allow it. She sat on her side, admiring him while he slept, and letting her thoughts run rampant until the sun rose. It gave her some semblance of control although the possibility of being booted out of her own mind didn't stray far from her thoughts.

Now that she was up and about, she had quietly found her way to the room where they'd all met the previous day to discuss her condition. She'd thrown on a pair of leggings, a bandeau bra, and a thin black sleeveless top that said Hard at Work in bold white lettering.

Not long after taking a seat at the large table, she had been joined by Sam Wilson about an hour later. He had been one of the first of their team to wake—aside from herself. Although she enjoyed his company in the past, his prodding and relentless staring didn't do anything to salvage her already low tolerance of him.

"Something on my face bothering you, Sam?" She finally voiced, not understanding why he was so keen on studying her so intently. The silence alone made her nervous enough. The least he could do was talk to her like normal.

"Just wondering if that sick bastard can see everything you're seeing right now," Sam stated blankly, "you feel any different? Missing time?" He leaned forward against the table. He didn't mean to come off so harshly, he cared for Devina's well-being, but he had trouble expressing it with the possibility of her mind being compromised at any waking moment. He didn't wanna let his guard down just yet.

While Devina sat gaping at him, obviously flustered, Natasha walked in drinking from a water bottle. She rolled her eyes at Sam, already expecting his behavior to be weird, considering how he'd acted yesterday. In the time she'd grown to know him, she'd discovered that he was pushy, and often times acted before he thought about the consequences of his actions when it can to social matters.