19.

The final task had come and Hermione had no idea how she was going to save Cedric. It was the first real thing she wanted to change, but something about it seemed to tell her that this would turn out to be one of those fixed points that McGonagall had warned her about. Something told her that Cedric had to die in order for everyone to see the severity of the return of Voldemort.

Still, she found herself sitting in the common room on the night before the final task, sobbing into a pillow on the couch. She was actually rather ashamed of herself. This is why she had come back. To save people. The very first opportunity she had, she found herself completely unprepared. It would have been one thing if she had been unable to find a way to save him, but she was ashamed to admit that she had barely tried. She was too wrapped up with Fred. And now, Cedric was going to die and it was all her fault.

"Hermione?" A voice called from the top of the stairs. She jerked her head up and wiped away the tears. "Hermione, is that you?"

Harry came descending down the stairs, rubbing his tired eyes before replacing his glasses and sitting down next to Hermione.

"Why are you crying?" He asked, concern evident on his face as he placed his arm around her. 

"I'm scared for you." Hermione answered. It wasn't a lie. Not really. Wiping away the last of her tears, Hermione said the only thing she could think of to warn Harry without telling him what she knew.

"We all know that someone put your name in the goblet and that that person probably wants you dead. I just have a feeling that this person is going to try to finish the job during the last task. I don't know who it is or what they're planning but please... please Harry, just be careful."

Harry nodded. "I've been thinking the same thing."

"Are you scared?" Hermione asked Harry as she rested her head on his shoulder.

Again, Harry nodded. "Terrified. But I'll be careful, I promise."

Gently, he stood up. "But I'm not going to be much use if I don't get some sleep." He offered his hand to her to help her up as well. "And it's not going to do you any good to sit here all night worrying about me."

Hermione nodded and got up as they both headed toward their separate dormitories. "Promise me you'll try to get some sleep." Harry said.

Hermione smiled. "I will. Promise me you won't do anything stupid tomorrow."

Harry laughed. "How long have you known me, Hermione? I'm bound to do something stupid! But I will be careful. I promise."

She nodded. "Goodnight Harry."

"Goodnight." Harry yawned back as he headed upstairs.

Hermione sighed. It was the best she could do. She just hoped it was enough.