9

It was their last night at The Burrow before they returned to Hogwarts and Hermione has debated long and hard about if she should tell Fred how she felt. If she played her cards right, and played them soon enough, she might be able to make him ask her to the Yule Ball. She really would much rather go with him than with Viktor, or even Ron. Still, she found herself becoming insecure. What if he didn't like her back? Or didn't like her yet? George said he had, but she didn't know when it had started. It seemed like he had been flirting but she couldn't be sure. Maybe she was just looking for it.

With all the thoughts about Fred working themselves out in her head, and with the excitement of school starting tomorrow, she couldn't sleep. So she took a book and headed downstairs.

Harry was the only one still awake, drinking a glass of water by the dying fireplace. "Hey Hermione" he greeted. "I was just about to go to bed."

Hermione shook her head. "Don't leave on my account. I'm always a little jittery the day before a new school year so I'll be up for a while, but you won't bother me."

Harry nodded and sat down again, warming his hands by the fire. "I'm just hoping for a normal year at Hogwarts this year. Do you think that's ever going to be possible?"

Hermione couldn't help herself from letting out a loud laugh, mostly because she knew this would be their year that was the farthest from normal, for a variety of reasons. Harry seemed disturbed, so she simply responded "I think a normal year at Hogwarts is, by definition, abnormal."

Harry laughed too. "You're probably right. Well, goodnight Hermione."

Hermione nodded and opened her book. "Goodnight Harry"

Hermione spread herself out on the couch and found herself so engrossed in it (as she usually is) that she didn't even notice Fred coming down the stairs until he plopped himself down next to her.

"Fred! Hi!" She said, hurriedly moving her feet. He smiled and picked her feet back up , placing them in his lap.

"You never did answer my question from this afternoon." He started.

"Umm... what question?" Hermione tried.

"Are you and Ron... like... a thing?" Fred asked quietly.

Hermione laughed. "A thing?" His choice of words seemed so nervous and juvenile, but in a way, it actually made him all the more endearing.

"No we are not a thing." Hermione answered confidently, a small smile preying on her lips.

"But you... you want to be?" Fred guessed.

"No, not really." Though Hermione knew that she now liked Fred and not Ron, she was surprised at how easily the answer came. She'd spent so long wishing they were a couple, it was nice to finally be able to say that she didn't want to be with him. And it would make the Lavender debacle in a few years much easier to handle.

"That's good." Fred started. "Because..."

This is it. She thought. He's finally going to say it. "Because what?"

"Because... Because Ron always seemed kind of territorial when it comes to you. He all but told all of us to stay away from you. I think it's because he wanted to go out with you but hadn't worked up the courage to ask. But if you don't want to date him, then I have no problem telling you that I have really enjoyed hanging out with you the last few days and I hope we can be friends." Fred said.

It wasn't exactly what she thought she was going to hear, but she then realized that, at least for now, it was exactly what she wanted to hear. Sure, she'd love to date Fred at some point, but the most important thing was to get to know him better than she had the first time around. And truth be told, she had enjoyed hanging out with him too.

"I would love to be your friend, Fred Weasley." Hermione smiled.

"That's good. Cause I gotta tell you, I'm an awesome friend!" Fred told her, leaning in like it was some kind of secret.

"And so modest too!" Hermione laughed.

Fred smirked. "Who needs modesty? I already know I'm amazing!" Hermione laughed and hit his arm lightly.

"Well, I should get to bed. Big day tomorrow." Fred finally said, gently laying her feet down on the floor as he picked them up off his lap and stood up.

"Goodnight Fred!" Hermione said, waving as he walked up the stairs.

"Hey, do you know what's an added bonus for us being friends?" Fred said as he turned around one last time. "It'll drive Ron crazy."

Hermione couldn't help but laugh as Fred winked at her as he walked up the stairs. "Goodnight 'Mione!" He said from halfway up the stairs, not even bothering to turn around.