26.

After many unsuccessful attempts to spy on the Order at Grimmauld Place and Harry's near expulsion, it was time to return to Hogwarts. Seeing Sirius created a strange sense of duty and emotion in Hermione. Knowing how much Harry cared about him, how drastically different his life would be if Sirius were to live, Hermione felt more emotionally prepared for the task ahead. She only hoped she would be able to follow through.

Hermione sat with Harry and Ron on the train. She felt like she had seen so little of them since she started dating Fred. Of course that wasn't true. The three were still seen as practically inseparable by the rest of the school, but compared to the amount of time she'd spent with them the last time around, it did seem she was due for a little quality time with her two best friends. Fred didn't seem to mind, as he and George ran off to share some of their Wizarding Wheezes ideas with Lee.

Hermione was glad for the time to spend with Ron and Harry, and for the opportunity to feel Harry out a bit about the upcoming year.

"Things are going to be pretty crazy at Hogwarts this year." Ron said. "Dad said that the ministry is interfering in virtually everything. They're afraid Dumbledore is spreading lies about the return of you-know-who."

"But it's not a lie!" Harry insisted. "I saw it with my own eyes. What- do they think Cedric just dropped dead on his own?"

"You know that. And I know that. Dumbledore knows. But the ministry has a lot of pull. If they tell people that they think Dumbledore is bonkers, people are going to believe it." Hermione responded.

"I just hope everyone figures it out soon. It's not really something you can live in denial about." Ron said.

Harry shook his head. "The ministry is all about denial these days. It's how they can get away with telling everyone that there's no way Dudley and I were attacked by dementors this summer."

"Things are definitely getting more complicated." Hermione agreed. She tried to think of a way she could prepare Harry for the onslaught of criticism and ridicule that he was about to walk into, but she couldn't come up with much. "We're just going to have to stick together. Harry, you always have Ron and me on your side, and Dumbledore as well. I'm sure the Order is already on top of it."

After the feast, Hermione curled up in a chair in the common room and opened a book. A strong pair of arms grabbed her from the back. "Fred!" She laughed. "I know it's you."

"I have to tell you something." Fred said. "Georgie and I are keeping it a secret, but I don't suppose I should keep secrets from you, seeing as your my girlfriend and whatnot." After all this time, Hermione still loved hearing Fred say that word.

"Besides" Fred said with a knowing smile. "I have a feeling you already know what I'm going to say."

"You're not staying until the end of term, are you?" Hermione said. Fred nodded. "Georgie and I are going to buy a storefront in Diagon Alley and open a joke shop."

"I understand. I just don't know what I'm going to do without you here! Who's going to help me?" Hermione said quietly.

"I'll still help you!" Fred assured her. "Every weekend! I'll come visit you at Hogsmeade and we'll work through everything together."

He took her hand, pulling her up from her seat, and pulling her into a tight hug. "I'm not going to leave you to fight this on your own. I love you, Hermione."

"I have something for you, too." Fred said with a smile.

"What's that?"

Fred pulled a small silver heart shaped locket from his pocket and handed it to Hermione. "I know it's a few days early, but I wanted to be the first to wish you happy birthday. And I've been holding on to this for so long, I couldn't wait any longer to give it to you!"

Hermione took the locket and smiled. "Fred, it's beautiful, thank you!" She said, running her thumb over the lion engraved in the front. When she opened it, she saw the words "forever and always-Fred" neatly engraved inside.

"It's amazing! Thank you!" She said, throwing her arms around Fred's neck.

He grinned. "It's enchanted, too!" He said, holding up his right hand, where he wore a simple silver ring on his index finger. "Hold the locket in your hand."

Hermione obeyed and watched as Fred rubbed the ring on his finger, and she felt the locket heat up in her hand. "That's incredible!" She marveled.

Fred smiled. "Yours does it too. That way, no matter where we are or how far apart we are, if one of us feels that, we'll know the other is thinking about us."

"It's perfect, Fred. Thank you." She meant it too. It was, without a doubt, the greatest gift she had ever received. And she knew it would come in handy later on down the road, not only to feel Fred with her when they were apart, but so that he would know she was alive. And vice versa. She chose to not mention that part though. Not yet. For now, she allowed Fred to put the necklace around her neck and she vowed to never take it off. She rubbed the metal in her hand and smiled as she saw Fred turn the ring on his finger and felt the necklace heat up in her hand once again. She let herself be overcome with the incredible feeling that Fred Weasley was in love with her. She felt his arms around her and wished more than anything that she could stay here forever, that he never had to let go.

Things with Umbridge were even worse than Hermione remembered them, and Hermione had to restrain herself from suggesting they start Dumbledore's Army the moment Umbridge made her opening speech.

When the time came to start the DA, Hermione caught Fred betting on her to stun Ron. She knew she probably should have been mad, but she couldn't help but smile as she and the other girls giggled in the corner about her victory against Ron.

"Did you get what you were hoping for?" Hermione laughed, going up to Fred at the end of their session.

"Of course! Georgie should have known better than to bet against my girl!" He said, taking her hand and kissing it.

Everything was progressing very nicely, and Hermione just had to wait (rather impatiently) for her time to come. And not so impatiently for the time when Fred would be leaving.