26

It's been almost 4 months since the very public arrest of my Boss's son for his murder and yet nothing seemed to be dying down.

The trial had begun and it seemed as though the case was all the city talked about.

Jon was taken for a whirlwind since the whole thing started and even though his dad's funeral was one of the biggest events, he was never released to go after bail was denied.

I wanted to feel some type of way for him but besides the fact that both my twin and my parents were threatening me if I went anywhere near the mess that was his life, I was still very mad at him.

I knew that I had abandoned him in his time of need and even after my drunken stupor all those months ago, I still couldn't call him back or even try and see him.

I mean, how could I?

He had murdered his dad and then slept with me. It's like he knew he would be arrested and wanted me to be his last score.

Sighing, I grabbed my bag as the clock struck five in the afternoon. My day had come to an end and I raised my hand in a way of saying good bye to my new boss.

"Daniel, right?" A short mixed race guy asks as I step off the elevator on the ground floor and walked past him.

"It's Danny actually." I correct. "Can I help you with something?"

"I work on the 6th floor, auditing, you're taxation right?"

"Yes..."

I slowly start to walk, with him falling into step beside me, as I realized the conversation had nothing to do with my job.

"Cool. I'm Shemar, by the way." He stretched forth his hand and I shook it, still trying to understand what the dude wanted from me.

He looked to be about 24 and although he had that cute exotic look, I really just wanted to head home and take a long nap.

I was never again going to break my no office romance rule and his appearance wasn't enough to sway my decision. Not after the last encounter I had.

"I was wondering if... maybe when you're not so busy, you'd wanna go grab a few beers with me?"

His tone was so hopeful and I almost felt bad for turning him down but we were now outside and I had no more reason to entertain the conversation.

"No."

I gave a fake smile as I walked away from him and to the direction of my car where my old supervisor stood waiting with her baby girl.

The air outside felt stuffy as the heat wave was on but I was beyond grateful for the change in weather as I didn't need to duck from one place to the next in pouring rain.

"Hey hot shot." Melissa says to me as I approached her.

"Ah, the two most important women in my life." I state dramatically and didn't miss the eye roll.

"It's way too early in the afternoon for me to be entertaining your shenanigans. Don't you think?"

"Shenanigans? I'm being 100% honest."

"Who was that?"

"Who was what?" I responded, feigning ignorance.

"That cute guy you walked out with."

"Some guy in auditing."

"And what did he want?" She continues to pry as we drove away from the 12 storey building where I worked.

"Doesn't matter."

"So that's it huh? You had one bad relationship and you decide to quit your job and turn straight."

"There's nothing wrong with being straight. Although I like vagina as much as the next guy, I'm not giving up dicks anytime soon."

"Hey! Little Annie is too young to hear such talks."

"And besides." I continue, ignoring her. "Me working here has nothing to do with my previous nonexistent relationship."

"Uh huh, keep telling yourself that."

I shook my head as we headed to our spot to have dinner. I would never openly admit that after the rumor got out that Jon and I were an item I felt overwhelmed with the fact that I dated a murderer and had almost everyone stop and stare at me as they came up with some ridiculous theory as to why he did it.

They thought it was because his dad found out he was gay or that he forced us to break up and the most outlandish ones were of us plotting to kill him so we could run the conglomerate together.

I was all too happy when my parents gave me an ultimatum of the job or a sound beating from my dad plus the job and I immediately chose option A.

"Here's your menus." A waiter says to us as we settled in and I didn't miss the smile Melissa gave me as the guy's eyes lingered a little too long in my direction.

"Don't start!"

She throws her hands up in defeat before laughing and I face palmed before placing the menu down.

We always got the same thing and soon we settled as our meals were placed in front of us.

"So, don't get mad at me alright? I know this topic is a bit taboo and all but I just have to tell you this before my head explodes."

"Melissa." I warned, looking at her sternly.

"He's out!" She blurts before I can stop her.

"What? Out on bail?"

"No, he's out, out. He's freed from all charges."

"You're shitting me, right?"

"He was released some time today. I heard about it a few minutes before you picked me up."

"I don't understand. He murdered his dad in cold blood. How the hell do you walk free from something like that?"

"You'll have to watch the news to find out."

"Didn't the news say why?"

"I didn't hear it on the news, I actually saw it in the Facebook group but didn't get a chance to see the comments. Do you want me to check now?"

"No!"

I cleared my throat and replied more calmly. "No, it's okay, I'll probably just see it on the news tonight."

We both fell silent as we ate, her probably wondering about me and me, well, I was internally freaking out.

The guy I tried to forget for the past several months was now out and a fear I never knew I possessed took hold of me. I felt like I was seconds away from a meltdown; the only thing stopping me was the very public place and the tiny baby trying to sleep.

It's okay. I tried to convince myself. I'm fine.

I can just pretend like I never heard the news. Besides, there's no way he'd reach out to me...

Right?!