27

I raise my hand in a gesture of goodbye to my old supervisor as she stood near her door before driving off with a heavy feeling of dread over me.

I attributed it to the fact that I heard Jon was out of jail but as I drove down the street where my house stood, the feeling seemed to intensify and soon I couldn't even swallow.

There were many questions circulating in my head and the biggest one being 'why the hell was he out free?'

In no time I was pulling up to my place and the feeling of dread turned to fear as I spotted Jon and the guy from the club all those months ago, standing near an SUV that was parked on my street.

Placing my car in park, I took a deep breath and stepped out. Jon had moved from his position near the SUV and was now standing in front of my only entrance forcing me to face him.

Play it cool. I repeat over and over in my head; trying to somehow keep my nerves under wraps and not let him see how my hands had turned clammy from all the sweat dripping off it.

I stuck my hands in my pockets as I faced him and he's staring intently at me.

"What? You broke out of prison or something?"

I wanted to smack my hand against my forehead for the dumbest statement I could ever come up with but I just squeezed my eyes shut and shook my head as I couldn't take back my words.

Jon chuckles and I exhale as he took it light heartedly.

"What are you doing here?"

"Can we talk?"

"Is he your bodyguard or something?" I ask, pointing to the man that's just silently bracing the vehicle and trying his damndest not to pay attention to us.

At the mention of him, he looks up at me before settling his gaze on Jon and I almost rolled my eyes as he smirks.

"My name is-"

"I know who you are." I cut in, failing to keep the annoyance out of my voice.

Of course I knew who he was.

You think I'd just ignore the fact that he was up close and person with a drunk Jon?

I spied the hell out of him and although I knew he was a lawyer long before he represented Jon during the whole ordeal, that still didn't answer the question of whether or not they dated, so... I did.

I turned away from him as I stared at Jon. "I'm really not in the mood to entertain you and your ex."

"My ex?"

"I'm Edward Richardson, his lawyer. We have never dated."

He still held his hand out and I reluctantly shook it.

"He's a handful, isn't he?"

Jon smiles before Edward pulls out a cigar and lights it. "I'll be on my way now, if you need a ride back just call me."

"Wait? You can't just leave him at my pl-"

My statement was cut short as his lawyer walked away and seconds later I stared in shock as the vehicle slowly started to speed away.

"You're kidding, right?"

"Kidding?" He looks at me as though I'd grown another head and I tried my damndest not to roll my eyes at him.

"You're not staying here. I-"

"We have a lot to talk about."

"I'm not having a conversation with a man arrested for killing his own father-"