Anniversary Flowers (IIda Tenya x Reader)

A/N: This was a request from Insomniac-chan. Hope you like it! I'm glad to have finally gotten the opportunity to write for Iida.

I do not own My Hero Academia, any of its characters, or the picture.

"Tenya, it's okay! I promise!" you insisted, giving your husband an amused smile. "You're a top hero. It can't be helped that you'll miss important events sometimes."

"But (y/n), it's not okay! The first anniversary is an important milestone in all marriages! How can I call myself a good husband if I leave you alone on it to take care of my duties as a hero?"

"Tenya!!!" you whined as his hand chopped the air, attempting to push his point across. "You're a good husband whether you're with me for our first anniversary or not! And besides, it's not like you're missing it by choice! No one said being a hero isn't a demanding job!" Reaching out, you stilled his hnad, running your own up and down his muscular arms soothingly.

"Still..." he trailed off, blue eyes concerned and uncertain.

Smiling softly, you stood on the tips of your toes so you could press your forehead against his. "I'm a smart woman, Tenya. I knew what what I was getting into when I married you and I understand that you can't always be with me. It's okay. I'm proud of my hero husband and want him to keep being a hero, even if it means he misses out first anniversary."

Sighing and closing his eyes, Iida leaned into you, the tension in his broad shoulders draining just a little. "How did I ever get so lucky as to love someone as amazing and understanding as you?"

"I don't know. You're pretty amazing yourself, Mr. Ingenium," you giggled, pressing a lingering kiss to his lips. 

A low groan echoed in the back of his throat when you pulled away, his lips brushing yours as he asked, "Are you sure it's okay?"

"Very sure," you replied, punctuating the statement with another quick kiss.

"Okay..." he finally gave in, wrapping his arms around your waist and drawing you against him. "I promise I'll make it up to you."

"I'll look forward to it." You took one last moment to look at him tenderly before stepping back and grabbing his hand. "Now that that's settled, what do you say we get back to making dinner?"

The smile you'd been waiting for finally appeared and you felt a weight you hadn't known was there lift from your heart. "Yes, let's."

This was going to be harder than you thought.

Frowning, you buried your face in your husband's pillow, inhaling the scent that made you feel so safe. For all your talk of being okay and encouraging Iida to go be a hero even on your anniversary, you were still helplessly disappointed. Of all the days he was put on mandatory duty why did it have to be today? You couldn't ignore the ache inside you to have Iida close, to reaffirm your love for him just as he deserved to be loved, but you felt worse for being so selfish.

Releasing a frustrated groan, you rolled off the bed and to your feet. You were not going to be contrary and regret telling him to go when he'd felt so bad about leaving you in the first place. Having requested the day off from work weeks ago under the expectation that Iida would be able to take the day off as well, you had the whole day to yourself, the whole day to put something together before Iida came home late that night. There was still time to make this day at least a little special.