Chapter 6

Last Chapter...

I only get to the third sentence in my chapter before someone knocks on my door. 

"Who is it?" I say out the door. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It's Two-bit. Can I come in?" he asks. I open the door to let him in. When I open the door, I see him leaning on the doorway. I smile at him, and he smiles back. 

"What's up?" I ask. 

"You feeling okay?" 

"Yeah. Hurts a little, but i'm okay." 

"That's good. You scared the shit out of us when you went walking. You know you can't do that if you are with us, right?" he asked. I was folding the covers on the bed and sat down. I pat the spot beside me on the bed. 

"Yeah. Dally told me, but I guess I forgot about it," I looked up at him before he sat down on the bed. He doesn't exactly sit where I patted the bed because he sat SUPER close to me. I get shy and say, "Are you drunk?" 

"No. Why would I be drunk?" 

"You were drunk the day I got here," I was messing with him and trying to get under his skin. 

"I had an excuse that day though." 

"Okay. What was your excuse that day then?" I laugh out. 

"It was June 20th, my birthday. I'm allowed to get drunk on my b-day!" he smiles wide. It was almost like an animal's smile. 

"Oh, I understand. You turned 21?" I say sarcastically. 

"Well no, but... just stop asking me questions." 

"Fine. You must be one of those guys that are too young to drink but could care less what people think about it." 

"No, I just like the taste of beer and the good feeling of being drunk. How old are YOU anyway?" 

"How old are you?" 

"I asked you first." 

"I'm sixteen. How old are you?" 

"I'm eighteen. Same age as your brother." 

"Oh then you're not that much older than I am. Do you know the ages of all the boys?" 

"Yeah, why? You like any of 'em?" 

"I just wanna know. I mean I do like one of them, but I ain't gonna tell ya who." 

"Why not?" 

"I don't feel like it." 

"Can you give me hints?" 

"Only if you tell me how old they are." 

"Whatever. Ponyboy is fourteen. Sodapop, Johnny, and Steve are sixteen. Darry is twenty." 

"Interesting," I look at the ceiling for a second. 

"Can I have those hints now?" 

"One hint a day until you figure it out, okay?" 

"Okay. Just give me the hint already." 

"Hint one is... he is not a brother of anyone in the group." 

"But we are all like brothers." 

"You know what I mean." 

"I do. It is now limited down to Steve, Johnny, and me." 

"Good luck." 

I walked out into the living room ready to get going. Johnny and Pony are sitting on the couch watching Mickey Mouse. Johnny looks up when I walk in. 

"You ready to go?" he asks. 

"Yeah. I think so,"  I reply. He nudges Pony with his elbow, and they both stand up and walk out. I follow behind them while walking, so I don't bother their conversations. We walk on a sidewalk until we see Dally loitering on the pole at the edge of the sidewalk. I speed walk past the boys and up to Dally. 

"We're early," he looks right at me. 

"Well what do ya wanna do?" I ask. 

"Nothin' legal. Let's go," he says and looks into the street. I follow Pony, Johnny, and Dally around at a distance for a while. They really didn't notice I was there because I was silent. If I would have walked away from them, they wouldn't have noticed. I was just that silent. When we actually got all the way to the Nightly Double, I wasn't having any fun, but Dally noticed it.