Chapter 14: A Mother's Counsel

"... et eduxit super eos Dominus aquas maris filii autem Israel ambulaverunt per siccum in medio ejus." Jacob finished the sentence, even though he saw that Marcus's eyes were closed and his breathing deep and steady.

He looked up from the massive copy of St. Jerome's Vulgate on his lap and stared at the sleeping boy.

Marcus still clutched the leather pouch of dice in his right hand, as unwilling now to give it to Jacob as he'd been when the time had come to clean up. The Gluckhaus board and jettons were neatly stowed on the table next to the bed, easily within reach of the patient for when he awakened. Jacob smiled at the memories of the many games he and his new friend had played together. Skill-wise, the boys were evenly matched, but (except for himself) Jacob had never met anyone as competitive at the game as Marcus.

"Did you just read something about Pharaoh?" Rebecca asked quietly from the doorway.

"Ima!" Jacob turned on the edge of the bed with a surprised whisper. "How long have you been there?"

"Long enough to get the gist that you were reading about Moses."

Jacob nodded, then glanced again at the page and translated the last line for her.

" 'For Pharaoh went in on horseback with his chariots and horsemen into the sea, and the Lord brought back upon them the waters of the sea; but, the children of Israel walked on dry ground through the midst of it.' " He closed the book and looked at her. "I love that part, where the sea magically parts and the Israelites get through while Pharaoh and his horsemen get swamped by the water. I wonder if we'll ever see such sorcerous and supernatural things again?"

"I don't know about that, but your Latin sounds very, very good, Jacob. Your father would be proud," Rebecca entered the room and kissed her son on the forehead before sitting down on the chair near the corner.

Even in the changing light of the aging day Jacob could see how tired she looked and the paleness of her complexion. Something hollow opened in his stomach. "Have you been coughing much?" he asked.

"No, no—I'm just very tired. I didn't know you were this close down the hall. I got up to exercise a bit, and heard you reading. I'm five doors down."

"I'm sorry, Ima," Jacob said, genuinely contrite. "I didn't mean to be here so long, but Marcus has a Gluckhaus board and we got carried away."

"No, my sweet," she replied, waving a hand dismissively, "I was sleeping. I'd rather you have some fun than stare at me and fret." She looked at Marcus. "He has a nice face, a kind face."

"He is very nice," Jacob said, "and he really plays a good game of Gluckhaus. We're tied now, two games to two."

"Your sportsmanship is improving, too," Rebecca said. "Normally you don't take it very well when someone gives you a challenge; just ask Owena or Arella. They've certainly beat you enough times and had to watch you pout afterwards."

"That's not fair—" Jacob started to protest and then smiled. She was right. "I'm ... trying to be better about that, Ima." He frowned. "There's something wrong with the way that Marcus speaks. He keeps repeating himself, and I'm not sure how much he hears of what I say."

"Hmm, what did you try to talk about?"

"I don't know—things. Anything, really. He doesn't look at me much, and just seems to want to play the game."

"Well, there are worse things, and sometimes it takes a while to get to know someone. I'm sure that he appreciated you taking the time to play some games with him. This doesn't seem to be a castle where many games are played."