Chapter 31: A Lore Master's Moment: The Codex Lacrimae

Aurelius stood before a dragon and an army of dead men, watching his friends threatened by the Huntsmen, and projected his words in what he now knew to be the ancient thought-speech of the druids.

He asked the question that might resolve many conflicts and save the lives of his friends. Codex Lacrimae, are the words in your frontispiece necessary for using your power?

WHAT DID YOU SAY? How dare you ask such a thing! The Codex Lacrimae screamed. And where did the dwarf go? Did he flee? Typical. The voice collected itself, striving for calm. Listen, Servius, take my power, and we can overturn all these misfortunes—

Aurelius smiled, realizing that the Dark Book had no idea that Dietrich had briefly put it to sleep. The dragon was speaking to him again, and Santini realized that he'd not have the Dark Book hear what he wanted to ask Fafnir to do.

"Ich befehle dir zu schlafen," he whispered aloud, repeating Dietrich's spell.

The Codex Lacrimae fell silent, and some minutes passed while the knight spoke with the dragon.

When they'd finished their conversation, he commanded the book to awaken. "Jetzt, aufwachen, bitte."

with the simplest of maneuvers. Santini! The Codex's feminine voice shifted to a cajoling tone. You can do this, but you must accept me. I've read in your mind the concerns you have for your friends. You can save them and more, my knight. Just pay the price and save them."

I don't want my friends to die for that price, he thought, and you haven't answered my question.

Then save your friends.

Marcus is about to be killed by a Huntsman.

Destroy the Huntsmen's caskets and throw them into Muspelheim.

Jacob's recovering but still in peril.

Save him and Marcus.

Fafnir, his army, and Saladin's forces won't give me time. The dragon wants something for Hela, and I don't want to give him satisfaction.

They want me back in the Nine Worlds so that Loki can retrieve me and free himself. Hela and her army will soon be of no concern to you. Saladin will flee this place after he meets the dragon. As for Fafnir himself, tell the dragon its dead.

Dietrich said much the same thing,Aurelius thought, testing.

"Was ist das?I heard no such thing.

Santini imagined a wall of fire in his mind, and the Codex roared, Santini, what have you done? I can't hear your thoughts!

You can hear me when I want you to, Codex Lacrimae,Aurelius thought, focusing on maintaining the flames but speaking through them. You were suggesting I tell the dragon that it's dead?

How have you learned this secret of keeping your thoughts from me? You'll be hampered in using me if I can't hear your thoughts, Servius. Please, lower these flames.

Perhaps, but in the meantime, answer me, bitte.

Very well. Upon revealing his true condition, the dragon will be angered. Use the moment of anger to make it leave Hela's service. She must have lied about his nature when she awakened him from the dead, and he's not thought to see the spell-casting on him for what it is. Make the dragon ally with you by giving a promise to restore it to true life. All Fafnir must do in return is to remove the legions of the Wilde Jagd from this field.