Chapter 3: The Battle of the Underjordisk Elv: Clarinda

"Not that river, you fools!" Andvari shouted, noticing their predicament and thinking that they were heading toward the left watercourse.

The arch-mage hewed his way through the ranks of dead men between them, his large battle-axe glowing with orange fire. "I told you—get to the other waterway if you can, the Underjordisk Elv. After a minute of panicked swimming, it leads to Franang Falls, but you'll have to take a deep breath."

Skade ran past the burning carts and dead oxen, and hurled herself directly at Hela with a scream of rage. The force of her tackle drove the Queen of the Dead against a stalagmite.

"Leave him alone," the Huntress shouted, trying to stop her sister-in-law from completing the transformation of her husband.

Skade delivered a powerful backhanded slap at Hela, and then the two women were lost to Clarinda's sight as a rock giant swiped at her. The creature had moved so quickly that she'd scarcely realized she was its target, let alone devised any kind of defense.

Aurelius swung his sword at the descending hand, but the blade merely clanged against the creature's left forearm brace. The giant's hand brushed Clarinda's side and hurled her to the ground.

Though failing to completely defend her, Santini had diverted the giant's attention. It grasped Aurelius by both legs in one gigantic hand, and snatched him from Clarinda's side and lifted him into the air. The knight's sword dropped and clattered against a wall.

"Servius, hold on," she shouted.

"Not ... going ... anywhere, Clare!" he retorted, straining against the beast. He slashed at an exposed section of leathern flesh with his knife, and then fumbled for something at his waist.

"Bene, tu Cacasenno," she grunted as instinct and rage overtook fear. Buon Dio. Adrenalin surged. Even while possibly dying he's so ... così ... così ... infuriare!

"Prendi questo, tu Faccia di merda," she screamed at the rock giant, stabbing at its knee with her quarterstaff, driving it in with all her might.

A sapphire-colored explosion erupted at the touch of the stave's iron-shod heel. It shattered the rock armor and pierced the exposed knee beneath. The monster's joint buckled and he roared in agony, his free hand pushing Clarinda into the cart behind her while he tried to assess the damaged leg. She fell against the side of the vehicle, the impact knocking the breath from her, and vainly tried to inhale as the rock giant came at her, slowed only a little by his lame leg.

"Don't-touch-her," Aurelius yelled, heaving against the giant's hand.

The giant's enormous fingers were still wrapped around his thighs, but somehow Santini freed the little hatchet from its waist holster. He brought the small hand-axe down hard onto the creature's wrist.

Clarinda watched, amazed, as the giant stopped mid-stride and bellowed in anguish, staring at its half severed wrist. The Venetian girl tried to make sense of what had just happened. The weapon Aurelius had used was, indeed, only a small woodsman's hatchet.

The Hospitaller dropped to the ground, somersaulted, and sprang to his feet. He afforded her a glance as he sprinted toward the wounded titan. "Stai bene?" he asked her.

"Mi?" she replied, incredulous. "Sto bene! I'm fine!"

"You curse like a sailor," he said.

"E... e..." she gasped, unable to catch her breath, "I thought you were faster."

He frowned, and slowed a bit, taken aback. "Faster?"