Chapter 9: The Children of Loki

"Andvari, they're here!" Skade shouted. "This way, Dwarves!" She leapt lightly to the ground, rolled, and rose with a dagger raised in front of Rudyick.

Fenris began to transform back into human guise as he approached the group by the fire. Apart from being drenched, the couple were unmarked from their battle in the caverns.

"Ah, wonderful," Rudyick groaned, "Die Schlampe und ihr Wolf have found us." He barked an order to the patrol, and another hand signal brought archers from the trees.

"Dark-Elf Dog, did you just call me a slattern?" Skade roared, rearing back with her blade. Her dwarven escort raised swords and axes, and Rudyick's elves brought spears to attack positions. "Say that again to my face, you wanking, stretched-out gnome!"

"Ja, sagte ich, du bist eine Schlampe." Rudyick lowered his cowl and stared defiantly at her.

She launched herself at the tall elf, but he blurred from sight. However, Skade seemed to have recognized him in the half second before he faded. "Wait, Rudyick?"

"Have you seen your husband, Njörd, during the last century?" Rudyick asked as he appeared behind her. "Mate for life, eh, du Schlampe? "

"That's unkind, Rudyick," Skade said, lowering her dagger. "It's been so long ..."

"Rudyick, that's enough," Fenris growled. "We haven't time for this—"

"Hah!" Rudyick sneered, regarding Skade with contempt. "No, it turns out not a mate for life. You were with Njörd for five years until this werewolf lopes along und—was? What was it, Skade? Were you home alone too often because Njörd took his guardianship of the sea seriously? Did you get bored skiing in the mountains by yourself?"

"I said enough of this, Rudyick," Fenris warned.

"Nein, Loki-Son. No. You and I had our discussion before you went ahead with this thing." The furious elf returned his attention to Skade, and his voice lowered. "What else should I call you, woman? Certainly not ‛friend,' not anymore. Not ever again."

"Well, this is getting awkward," Ratatosk said. "I love it!"

The squirrel hopped onto an overhanging branch, and chittered. "Hei, Santini, since you and your buddies all seem to have forgotten the danger you're in, and since you seem utterly content waiting around for ghasts, Kludden, or Huntsmen to show up, be useful: go find some rose hips and pine cones for me to nibble on. I don't want to miss any of this!"

Aurelius raised one hand to silence Ratatosk, but kept the other on his sword as he watched the strange reunion.

"... come now, Rudyick," Fenris was saying, "Skade's got a point. It's been so long, is there really any reason to hold this grudge?"

"I was at your marriage, Skade," Rudyick continued, still ignoring the wolf-man. "Your real marriage. For Odin's Sake, I stood witness for you! Have you even talked to Njörd? He's gone mad. Waves still crash four times the height of a man at the Lofoten Islands in his grief over losing you."

Skade's face had turned ashen, and Clarinda impulsively wanted to comfort her, but she remained still, sensing the same danger Aurelius had.

"It wasn't that simple, Rudyick," the Huntress replied, her voice surprisingly calm. "You never let me explain, and Njörd tried to kill both of us when we went back to talk to him. I searched for you even longer." Fire lit in her eyes. "Und, speaking of that marriage, you stood for me, Elf, remember? Not Njörd. We were friends long before I even met him!"

The dark elf's eyes flashed with rage. "I was a friend of you both!"

"I would've explained," she said.