Book Four: The Journey to Mimir's Well // Chapter 1: The Caverns of Nidaveller

i. The Troubles of Arch-Mage Andvari

Of all things, it was a combination of Clarinda's knitting, Delling's apple-orange tarts, and Fabricia Trevisan's glassmaking skills that rekindled conversation between Aurelius and Clarinda.

Until those occasions, the two Italian youths had exchanged few words since departing the dwarf city of Niđafjöll earlier in the day. Aurelius remained angry about Clarinda's omission of her secret meeting with Mimir, the Norns, and Grimnir, informed as he'd been by Ratatosk that a covert conversation had revolved around him and the Codex Lacrimae. So, he'd completely avoided her, spending most of the first stage of the journey to the Crystal Caves walking beside Fenris, or talking with the leaders of the expedition, the Arch-Mage Andvari and his friend, Brigadier Halfdan.

Molto bene, she'd thought, perché non voglio parlare con lui, neanche. Agendo come un pazzo infantile, e l'uccisione degli uccelli innocui perché aveva un capriccio! ("Fine! I don't want to talk to him, either. Acting like an infantile idiot and killing innocent birds because of a temper tantrum!")

She'd had many variations of thoughts along that line, of course, but since Fenris, Andvari, Halfdan, and Aurelius seemed well on their way to becoming friends, Clarinda gladly left Santini alone. In spite of her determination to leave him be, however, moments of irritation persisted. At a rest stop by a series of broad pools in which everyone took turns refreshing themselves, she fumed by a wagon, her thumb worrying a peg in one of the side slats.

By Selvo's Loss, she thought, I'll not be the first to break this silence. I've waited to trap pirates for longer than this before, and I don't lose ships because of impatience. Non! I'll wait for him to come to me.

"How's the blanket coming along?" Ratatosk asked, sitting on his haunches and looking down at her from on top of the baggage cart.

Clarinda glared at him, and then crossed her arms under her breasts and turned away, muttering, "I'm not talking to you, either."

The squirrel didn't push the matter, and she returned to brooding.

Besides, I didn't do anything wrong! What makes Santini think he has a right to know everything I do, the instant I learn about it? That's not how it works. I'm training to be a Norn, for Odin's Sake! E, I've thought about this: Skuld was correct when she warned me at the council— things revealed too early can alter a future action for good or bad. I'll not take that risk merely because Mad-Monk Boy over there can't wait to get to Mimir's Well and ask all of them himself ... and I'll not be held hostage to his moods because his magic can kill flocks of birds when he stomps his foot and cries ‛foul'!

Clarinda heard a splash, and inadvertently caught a glimpse of Aurelius without his tunic, sloshing water on his body. She turned away before he saw her, and stalked off, furious.

I'll not—I don't care how good-looking he is.

The annoyance surprised her because during the last ten hours she'd been able to distance herself from Santini. Aurelius might be getting to know others in the expedition, but Clarinda, was also making acquaintances. She'd remained near the center of the company, talking with Skade or knitting with Traeg.

The sea captain in her had even prompted making self-introductions to Brigadier Halfdan and many of the dwarf warriors under his command. Whether on a ship with sailors, or underground with a detachment of soldiers, Clarinda wasn't the kind of girl to sit on her hands and wait for someone's mood to improve before acting responsibly—she had to get familiar with these people in case they needed to rely on each other in battle.

But the effort of traveling combined with conversing all day had exhausted her. When the expedition began moving again after the half-hour break by the pools, Clarinda sat next to Traeg on the bench of the arch-mage's covered cart and rested her eyes.