Chapter 13: An Invitation to Mimir's Well

A glass sphere floated in the air before Verdandi, its shape very similar to those used by Rudyick and Fenris, but the flames in this sphere were sapphire instead of orange and yellow.

"Rudyick, if you'd speak of Codex-Lore, might it not be better to let our friend here have the counsel of those appointed as its guardians?"

The light in the globe turned from blue to white, revealing the woman's ovaline face and long, wheaten hair graying at the temples. Though very short, barely reaching Aurelius's abdomen, she had wide, penetrating eyes that at a glance seemed to absorb all that there was to know about the Hospitaller knight.

"Verdandi?" Clarinda asked incredulously. She'd become so used to seeing the Norn of the Present in the guise of Genevieve Stratioticus that she'd almost forgotten the woman's true form.

"Rudyick, cease this nonsense," Verdandi said curtly. "Witches and druids are returning in the Nine Worlds, and you're bringing Santini deeper into Svartalfheim? Besides other threats you're unaware of, he'll be recognized before you reach your destination. Your people will imprison him, but more likely they'll try to slay him."

"They won't even know he's there," Rudyick said. "We're taking him to the Sviddengen."

"We know where you intend to go!" Verdandi snapped. "A madman's there, and the last thing you should be doing is bringing a fledgling Lore Master into his orbit!"

"I need the magics there—"

"Ah, you'd try to rid the Nine Worlds of the Codex Lacrimae?" Verdandi said. "You can't do it in that fashion anymore."

"I believe that I can; it was created there, so too can it be destroyed there."

"I want to try, Signora," Aurelius interjected. "From what I've heard so far, it's only brought grief and destruction since Loki and Volund created it."

Both elf and Norn ignored him.

"While true that elven magic partly created it," Verdandi said, "it won't be unmade by elves alone. Different magics are needed here."

"So your sisters and the legends say, but I, too, have spent much time in dwelling upon this; even if the Codex can't be destroyed at the Sviddengen, its threat might be reduced. Isn't it possible that the elven half could be stripped and restored to its rightful owners, to us? Verdandi, my people could have the blight on our honor removed ... we might even return to Alfheim."

"The Dark Elves shall not be reunited with their lost kindred until Ragnarok, Rudyick. You know the prophecies."

"Ragnarok will come, Verdandi, whether the Codex brings it about or is destroyed at the end of time; if we succeed in my plan and get rid of the elvish parts, with its power halved, more peoples in the Nine Worlds might have a chance to survive the Twilight of the Gods than otherwise could."

A slight smile played across the features of the Norn. Clarinda had to focus on the fact that even though she shared some similarities in features to Genevieve, this Sister of Fate was millennia old and could foresee all aspects of the Present. Amusement from her wasn't always a good thing.

"You'd be surprised at how close my mind is to yours in this matter, Rudyick. Long have you struggled for this moment, but I tell you, don't go further along this path, and stop waiting for a runeporte." She looked at the company, but lingered longest on Andvari and Traeg, then Fenris and Skade. "You'll need these four. Brigadier General Halfdan and the rest of your company may return to the forest fringe, or to their homes."

"No," Rudyick said. "Halfdan comes with the dwarves. He's a friend."

"No?" Verdandi replied, a steely softness coming into her voice, "Rudyick, you do know who I am, don't you?"