Chapter 28: Mimir on Midgard

The animated, dead giant dragged Aurelius for some distance until it reached a hooded man standing in the midst of Fafnir's army. The giant bowed, dropped the knight into the mire, then lumbered away to rejoin the assault against Saladin's men.

The cloaked figure knelt beside the unconscious Hospitaller and searched his wet clothing before checking the braces on his forearms. At his touch, bright blue light lanced upward, arcing from Aurelius's slack arms; it coiled around the man and flung him backward.

He shook his head, returned quickly, and rolled Aurelius over in the muddy soil. He gave the youth a rough shake of his jaw. The action, alighting on nerves and muscles made tender by the giant's strike, caused the knight to stir.

Aurelius opened his eyes, then started into full wakefulness when he recognized the man's face. "Mimir? You ... what are you doing here? How are you here? I didn't think you could leave the Well, and, and you ... have a body?" He then recalled the killing of the Norns. Did Mimir know? Was he here to exact some kind of revenge for the loss of his companions? "I'm sorry I didn't return, Mimir—and the Norns ... I couldn't stop Arngrim. They shouldn't have had to die like that."

No, they shouldn't have, but you've seen already that the Norns live again, in new incarnations. The same can't be said for your friends. They are dying in alarming numbers— Roberto, Belvedere, Damian, Mercedier, and even distant Thaqib. I wonder, how many must perish before you make use of the Codex? Look at the ramparts! The Sons of Muspel have taken Jacob, Marcus, and Verdandi. Fafnir the Dragon flies nearby, leading a legion of the Wilde Jagdfrom Hel.

The figure cast his hand in sweeping motion, his eyes narrowing. You must see that for yourself. Your enemies circle you here, advancing their plans, and you do nothing but fight dead men with a sword! I tell you: the Norns and I were wrong in our advice to you, Codex Bearer, but there is still time to correct matters. All who still live—and many in the Nine Worlds whom you don't know—will suffer and die if you don't take up the Codex Lacrimae.

Aurelius allowed Mimir to help him to his feet. He realized that Arngrim had returned to its sheathe.

"The last time we talked, your advice was different, Mimir," he said softly.

Silence blanketed the area where the two men stood, and Saladin's small force had vanished into the ranks of dead men who filled the plain.

That was then. Look around you now. Do I lie, Codex Wielder? There's been enough bloodshed. I urge you, avoid more deaths by awakening the Codex!

Aurelius assessed the Krak des Chevaliers, reflecting on Mimir's words.

Grand Master Arcadian's siege engines were braced against the breached wall, defended by many Hospitallers who pushed back against the dead men swarming at the broken gate. However, on the ramparts, where he expected to see scores of archers firing volleys of flame arrows, the area above the front gate lay empty except for four individuals.

Three of those men wore Hospitaller uniforms, but one was slumped backward against the other, obviously unconscious and being propped up by the back of the neck. Aurelius peered more closely and the world seemed to conflate in his mind. There was no mistaking it—that unconscious (or dead) figure was Marcus!

Aurelius gasped when he saw that Brother Demetrius and another knight stood next to the injured boy, doing nothing. Worse yet, the man propping up Marcus was Mercedier!

Impossible, he thought incredulously, but,their postures, the words that they're shouting ... all those of hostage takers ... were my friends, yet they're now possessed by demons.Has the world gone insane? And what have they done to Marcus?