Chapter 10: Sisters in Grief and the Fishermen of Caesarea

The group of departing guests—including the former king and queen—didn't stop moving until they'd reached the edge of the shore, where they could be sure that none of the patrolling Templar guards on the quays could hear their discussion.

The sun had fallen halfway into the great sea, its reddish light puncturing great shafts through the slate grey clouds clustered above the horizon. The harbor sparkled with a brilliant light, making its waves translucent and aquamarine.

Momentarily entranced, Clarinda tried to rein in her own stormy thoughts.

"I fear that your father's in serious trouble if he's mixed in with that lot," Fatima murmured.

"It sounds as if your family has had a rough time of it, as well," Clarinda said.

"Yes, but until this afternoon, I had no reason to suspect that my brother's disappearance might mean that he's dead," Fatima replied quietly. "Now, I'm not so sure. Two days ago a few of our elders told us that Thaqib was acting strangely; they said that he'd mentioned taking his own life." She grimaced and shook her head. "He would never do such a thing."

"I'm sorry, Fatima," Clarinda said. "I know we've just met, but I'm truly sorry. I haven't seen my father for almost two months, and I know that no words will help me until I'm holding him again."

Fatima squeezed her arm. "We know each other, well, my friend. Better, I think, than most in this man's world." She choked up for a moment, and then regained her composure. "We'll find your father and my brother—I'm sure of it. But, Shukran, your words mean more than anything that was said back there."

"Thaqib acted strangely after those two knights departed," Khalil said. "Then he was gone and—"

"You know him as well as I do," Fatima said. "Don't be foolish."

"I'm agreeing with you, my love," Khalil said, encompassing Clarinda now in his gaze, "but, what I was going to say is that I had the same feeling about our two 'guests' who disappeared with Thaqib as I do now—a pit in my stomach, and the feeling that something is very, very wrong. Evremar, Kenezki, and Monachus all seemed to be enjoying some private joke back there ... a joke that might be at both of your brother's and father's expenses."

Clarinda looked at the couple and smiled wanly, but was strangely heartened. Again, she felt a comfortable familiarity with Fatima, and a sense that Khalil concealed a greatness that only time would reveal.

"Most of that meal seemed to be a façade for another agenda," Clarinda said. "The three of them were definitely trying to do something, but it was all ... oblique."

Fatima laughed. "Until you didn't have those caskets where they expected them to be! Make no mistake. When you made it clear that they weren't where he anticipated, some plan started to unravel for Evremar—I've never seen him that flustered."

"Making it back to the ships is going to be a trick, Clare," Alex said. "The patrols seem to be gathering on the docks over there."

Guy followed his gaze. "That's something of a surprise. I knew Evremar was arrogant, but I didn't think he'd be so bold as to attack immediately."

Clarinda glanced at Pasquale, who winked back at her. "They're all in place, Bambina."

"Don't worry, gentlemen," Clarinda said, "I'd be more worried if it weren't for those fishermen over there."

Alex looked blankly at the port, seeing only the usual variety of tiny boats bobbing here and there at anchor, but then Pasquale whispered something to him. The older man squinted as the group reached the waterside and said. ", Mario and Luigi are in the scows, and I think that's Pocopio and Raul in the other dinghies."