Chapter 8

As soon as I arrive for my shift at six, I know immediately that the night is going to be a hectic one.  I've been waiting on customers back to back.  Thankfully since my shift starts relatively early, I've got a few more hours before I'll have to deal with the drunken idiots.

Even though we're busier than I expected, I make sure to wait on my regular customers. A nice hello and a quick conversation always helps with getting a little extra tip every now and again.  As I'm talking to one of my regulars, Jacob arrives for his shift.  He heads for me immediately, cutting off my conversation with the older gentleman in the booth next to me.  Without a word, Jacob grabs my arm and drags me towards the break room. I mumble a quick apology to my customer and try to keep up with Jacob's quick steps.

Before I even have the chance to sit down, Jacob is spitting out question after question. "Where the hell have you been? I dropped you off last night after oh, you know, YOU WERE ATTACKED! And I can't get a little text to see if you're okay?" His hands move frantically with each word.

I stare up at him blandly waiting for him to finish.

"You could have been dead for all I know! That creep could still be out there, and when you didn't call or text," Jacob stops himself, shuddering at his thoughts.

Releasing a huge sigh I respond. "I know and I'm sorry. I've just been so busy. I've just been trying to forget about everything that happened and just focus on school and Gran."

"I know, but next time just give me something. You don't know how close I came from coming to your house."

I wrap my arms around Jacob's waist resting my head against his chest. His arms automatically wrap around my shoulders.

"I'm sorry," I whisper, "I didn't mean to make you worry."

He squeezes me tighter. He pulls back and his hand comes to rest on my cheek. He brushes a few stray hairs from my face, his hand lingering as he stares at me.

"I think you two should get back to work before I have to fire you."

I pull back from Jacob's embrace to find my boss Dean at the opening of the door. A beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other, Dean raises an eyebrow at the two of us.

"And Chloe, no more funny business. I don't need you disappearing like you did last night. One more shift like that and I'll be forced to let you go."

My lips thin as I keep my mouth shut. I want to defend myself so badly, but I can't. Nodding, I push past Jacob and Dean and head to my station behind the bar. Sweaty bodies moved across the floor moving to the rhythm of the music. As soon as I reach my destination, drink orders come piling in one by one.

This is going to be a great night.

***     

I finish pouring shots for the group of frat guys in front of me. They haven't stopped staring at my chest since they walked up. The blonde one even has to audacity to try and cop a feel when handing over his money.

"Come on. Just come around here and give me a little taste," Goldie Locks slurs as he moves farther on top of the bar.

I roll my eyes at the drunken mess. All four of the frat guy are already wasted as they grab even more alcohol to make it worse. Ever since they showed up a couple of hours ago, all they've been is a pain in my ass.

The other three boys take their drinks and turn back towards the group of girls they've had their eyes set on but Goldie stays seated. I ignore him as I move to my next customer.

"Hey," Blondie flashes forward and grabs a hold of my arm. He jerks me toward him pulling my upper body onto the counter in front of me.

"Don't think you can just walk away from me like that. I'm a paying customer," he throws a hundred dollar bill on the bar, "Now give me a little taste."