Chapter 10

Emerald colored eyes stare back at me as my grip on the baseball bat loosens. I take in Elliot's presence as he continues to look back at me. I gently place the bat down and open my window. Elliot immediately tries to climb inside, but I stop him.

"What the hell are you doing here?" His words from earlier comes rushing back to me. The pain I felt while watching him walk away lingers in my mind.

Ignoring my attempt at keeping him out, Elliot pulls himself into my bedroom. Memories from the last time he was in my bedroom fill my brain. Images of the two of us on my bed talking, touching- Shaking those thoughts from my brain, I turn to look at Elliot, who in turn is looking at me.

"Well?" I throw my hands up, waiting for an explanation.

"I came to check on you."

"Check on me? Don't you mean to see if I'm still available on your 'fuck' list? Or are you still not into someone's 'leftovers'?"

Bowing his head in shame, Elliot continues, "I'm sorry. That guy, he just knew how to get under my skin," Elliot takes a step closer, closing the distance between us, "When I find something I want, I usually get it. When I first saw you I knew that I wanted you. That I needed you. And when I need something- someone- like that, it's mine. Only mine. When he said" Elliot huffs, his anger coming back from earlier, "When Jason said all that stuff, he made me so mad. Just the thought of him touching you the way I want-"  

Elliot stops himself from saying anymore. My cheeks heat from his gaze as I take in what he's said. I cast my eyes downward and turn away from Elliot. I don't know what to say or do so I make my way towards my bed and take a seat.   

As I make myself as comfortable as I can in this situation, I change the subject, "About earlier, when my gran talked about your dad," Elliot tenses at the mention of his dead father, "I thought you were adopted?"

Elliot looks at me for a moment and I could tell he was upset that I didn't make a comment on what he had said earlier, but instead of saying something about it, he lets out a tense laugh and answers my question, "Yeah, a lot of people thought that. With Rebekah in the family, most people just thought we were foster kids. But my parents adopted Rebekah right after her parents died. Our parents worked together, so they were really close, and when they died, my parents automatically took her in. She's been apart of my family even before her parents died."

He quiets, lost in the thoughts of his past. Before continuing he follows my lead, and comes to sit next to me on my bed.  He clears his throat and bows his head, making sure that I can't see his face as he speaks, "When my parents died last year, we both took it pretty hard. I mean, I lost the only people I had and now Rebekah has not only lost one family, but two. It was hard, but I kept it together. For her. I got my shit together, and here we are."

I place my hand against his arm, his head still bowed. "I'm sorry."

"What are you sorry for?"

"For everything: your parents, for Rebekah's parents, for you having to take on all these responsibilities. You were a kid, and you shouldn't have had to grow up so fast."

His head finally raises as my words reach him. Elliot stares back at me, speechless. Our eyes stay connected.

His hand comes up, molding to my face and in turn, I lean into his warmth as his closeness comforts me. The space between us slowly disintegrates as we lean into each other. I close my eyes in anticipation when I finally feel his touch. Warm, soft lips meet my waiting skin, but instead of meeting my lips, they connect with my forehead.    

"Thank you" he whispers against my skin.    

I pull back to meet his eye, "For what?"     

Without giving me an answer, Elliot just smiles as his eyes roam over my face. He moves back onto the bed, making himself comfortable. Patting the spot next to him, Elliot motions for me to lay next to him. My eyebrows shoot up, questioning him.   

"Come on. Just lay down with me. I won't bite," Elliot grins, "Hard."

My cheeks blush and an involuntary smile blooms on my face.  I slap Elliot's chest but do as I was told, and  lay down next to him. Our shoulders meet and our arms touch slightly and shivers roll through my body.  Just the slightest touch from the man next to me could bring me to my knees.

"See that wasn't too hard," Elliot teases. He slides his left hand into mine and brings our clasped hands to his chest. Turning into Elliot's body, I bring myself closer to him. I rest my head against his shoulder and finally let myself relax against him.

Elliot and I just lay together, content with the pleasant silence. Comforting each other by the touch of our skin. The silence is finally broken when a thought comes to my mind.

"Well," I pull myself up onto his chest. I lay my chin on my folded hands on his chest, "I hope you've got a decent family inheritance or something because after your little stunt today at the bar, I'm now jobless."

His once closed eyes slowly open. He shoots me an irritated look and grimaces. "I'm really sorry Chloe, I-"

"Shh," I laugh as I place my hand over Elliot's mouth, quieting any further apology. "Its okay. I think Dean was just waiting for something to happen. It's whatever. I'll find something better; something that works with school and Gran."

"This is my fault, and I'll take care of it. Of you." Elliot brushes hair out of my face as he continues to apologize.

"I don't need you to take care of me, Eliot. I've done fine on my own." I lay my cheek against his chest, avoiding eye contact, "I just- I want you here. You may be a complete ass sometimes, with raging anger issues, but you make me feel I'm not-"  

"Alone," Elliot finishes for the both of us.     

I smile against his chest, "Yeah, like I'm not alone anymore."

During our time in bed together, my shirt had found its way up, exposing most of my stomach and back. Elliot's hand finds its way to rest against my now naked back. His fingers trace random designs as my eyes slowly fall.

Unable to withstand the exhaustion anymore, I fall asleep to the feeling of his comforting touch and the sound of Elliot singing softly in my ear.