Prologue

I can feel my lungs filling with blood as it becomes harder and harder to breath. I can faintly hear the sobbing of the man in front of me, his cries becoming fainter and fainter as my mind fades. His arms that are wrapped around my body shake me in hopes of bringing me back.

Pain radiates through my entire body as I try to raise my hand to cup his face. Riddled with broken bones, cuts and bruises from this war, the pain is too much, but I have to comfort him, to let him know it'll be okay.

In our time together, the man above of me has become my everything. My love, my savior, my best friend. But I had to do this. I had to make this sacrifice. To save everyone. To save him.

As the seconds go by, I feel the heat leaving my body. My blood pours from the open wounds covering almost every inch of my body. I can feel myself fading, but I have to tell him one last thing before I go.

"I love you, okay? I always have and I always will. No matter what." His lips crash into mine as I whisper the words.

His eyes stare into mine. Those beautiful emerald eyes I've come to love penetrate my slowly dying heart. "No way. You're not saying goodbye. You promised," Tears rain down my love's face as I struggle to stay awake.

I can't feel my legs, my arms, or frankly any part of my body anymore. The power that once filled my entire body, completely gone.

As I finally let go, the last thing I hear as my mind and body finally gives up are three words I'll never forget.