Chapter 20

"I'm sorry, sir. I failed you," The man grovels as he begs for his forgiveness.

Blood covers Jacob's entire body. His hands are tied behind his back while his feet are chained to the walls surrounding him. His knees hit the cobblestone floor as another lash strikes across his open back. Jacob's already swollen eyes strain as he moves in closer.

"You were there for three years, and yet you still failed to bring her to me."

Jacob bows his head, making sure not to meet his eye. "I know sir, but I had to make her to trust me."

Jacob's head flies back as one of the guard's fist makes contact with his face. His nose gushes as the bone gives way from the force.

"I promise," Jacob's voice fills with desperation, "If you would just give me one last chance, I'll bring her to you."

"Really?"
"Yes. Yes, I'll do anything." Jacob pleads with the man before him.

The man tilts his head to the side as his blue eyes twinkle with mischief. Crouching down to Jacob's level, he presses his thumb against the open wound on his chest, "Anything?"

Jacob struggles as the man forces Jacob to meet his eyes. His once blue eyes change shape as they fill to a pitch black. Jacob tries to close his eyes against the pull, but he has already taken root in Jacob's mind.

"I want you to take this blade," A guard comes forth, untying Jacob's hands while giving him a large, sharp knife, "And I want you to plunge it into your heart."

Jacob's eyes become cloudy as the command locks into his mind. Jacob pulls himself to his feet, the pain that once riddled his body completely gone. Jacob brings the blade up and presses the tip against his chest. Without another thought, Jacob pushes the knife into his heart, the sharp blade easily cutting through his skin and connecting with its target.

He smiles while he watches the boy fall to the ground, the blade still protruding from his chest. As the guards begin to clean up the mess, he turns to the young man behind him, his words clear.

"Find her."