A Grizzam Wedding!

The Epiphany

Grizz stood there, after Luke and Helena's wedding, at the side of the church, lost in thought. In Luke's vows, he had said the same thing he had said in the jewelry store, ""She sees in me who I can be, not just the dude I think I am. When someone sees you like that, you want them looking at you forever." Just like the first time he had heard him say those words when they had moved him enough to finally shoot his shot with Sam, they ran through his mind and wouldn't leave.

Those words ran so true now, nearly three years after finally talking to Sam; Sam saw who he could be, who he really was on the inside. And he never wanted that to go away.

Naturally, no one had anticipated they'd be stuck in New Ham this long, but Grizz wasn't sure how much he minded it. He never would have found Sam and fallen for him like he had if this hadn't happened. He'd never have found himself a second father figure to a wonderful child like Eden. Things weren't the same as they had been back in high school, but was that really a bad thing?

Grizz had never pictured himself to be the settling down type. But, look at him now; working in the gardens, coparenting, living with another man who he loved. He had settled down. Part of this wasn't his choice, of course. But a large portion of it was. And he didn't mind it. In fact, he loved it. He loved getting his hands dirty and providing for people. He loved coming home every day to a home cooked meal and to his unusual family. He loved teaching Eden to read, and rocking her to sleep at night. He even loved how he was the only person who could calm her fears of the dark, or her temper tantrums. He loved his friendship with Becca, and how their system worked. How he could confide in her. But, above all, he loved Sam.

He loved the way he would rub his shoulders after a long day of farming, the way he would hold him when they went to sleep. He loved that soulful look in his eyes whenever he looked at Eden or at Grizz. He loved his laugh. He even loved his attitude and mood swings, loved picking up his messes. He even enjoyed their arguments, because they were both smart, they could keep up with each other. Sam had this ability to ease all of Grizz's troubles, and bring him back down to earth. He had worked hard to make himself better for Sam, because Sam made him want to be a better person.

Sam saw what he could be, not just the stoner, jock, poetry nerd people saw him as. Or as the repressed boy he thought he was. Sam had helped him become the man he was today, and he had a lot to thank Sam for. He wanted some way to prove to Sam how much he appreciated and loved him. And he knew exactly how he would do it.

***

Sam sat on the sofa, a snoozing Eden resting her head on his lap. She had grown into such a beautiful little girl. Brown ringlet curls, and large blue eyes with a radiant smile. He wafted his fingers through her hair softly, careful not to wake her. He was lost in his own mind, a life spent in silence often meant getting lost in your own head.

He had been forced to miss the wedding, not that it affected him too much. Eden had thrown up all over her dress, and had been ill all morning. So, he opted to stay home with her so Becca and Grizz could go to the wedding. Wedding..

Sam could remember being excited when gay marriage was legalized, but then realizing he'd probably never get married. He hated that he was religious, that he was raised in a church that condemned him. He had it shoved down his throat to never act on his 'impulses'. But, I suppose, in an alternate universe, God might not care here.

For most people, the Three years spent in New Ham had taken a tole, depression medication had ran out a long time ago, and a lot of people were almost zombie like. Going to work, home, eat, sleep, repeat. Constantly bored. But, isn't that what normal adult life was like? There had been several failed exhibitions to try to surpass whatever boarders contained us. All had failed except for the two for farmland and livestock, and one for water. The library was full now more than ever that gas had run out, no more games of fugitive meant more people had to turn to books for entertainment. Which, Sam didn't mind, it kept him busy when he worked.