XXXVIII

*Tobias's POV*

I hear Anne's footsteps as she runs downstairs. I didn't sleep all night. I stayed up thinking all night. Thinking about Ruby, and all the danger she's in right now. I can't lose her. She's all I care about now. She's all I have got left. Tessa is a grown up woman with a daughter. She is going to move out soon. She's going to move to an apartment in the middle of the city. I get up. I am sitting on the bed. I realize that I haven't changed since last night. I smell like absolute shit. I walk into the shower. I stare at myself in the bathroom's mirror. I look tired. I am sure a cup of strong coffee would make me look better. I grab a black hoodie while pulling on my jeans. I decide to go buy some gifts for tonight. I get downstairs. I don't pass by the kitchen. I can hear everyone's voice coming from there. I walk to my car. I feel a hand on my shoulder. I turn to face my father. His breath smells like beer and cigars, and probably marijuana. He's wearing a black jacket on top of his dirty tank. Along with a pair of ripped jeans. My father's white bread is growing. He actually needs a shave. "Your girlfriend better not open her mouth, okay, Woods?" He whispers to me. He nods at me as he walks back into the house. I get into my car as I shut the door hard behind me. I hit the wheel with my fits hard. It hurts but, I don't really care. "Fuck!" I shout at the top of my lungs. I sight as I try to contain my anger. I drive away to find a place where I can get those gifts not really thinking about them. But, about her.

I am driving to her house. She just texted me to come get her. I got the gifts wrapped and placed in car's back seats. I got Ash a pair of socks. Weird, I know. But, Ash is weird. So he'll love it. They are pink with black stars. I didn't really know what to get Jim. I got him a new helmet for his motorcycle. As for Ruby, I got lost. I got her a necklace. It has a music note. She loves music. I also got her a new notebook also with sunflowers on it. Tessa gave me a homemade sweater . Mom made it to me long time ago. It is black and has a red star in the middle. I love that sweater. I decided to give to Ruby. "Hey." She says as she gets in. "Hi." I say smiling as I see her smiling. Her red hair is lose under a grey beanie. She is wearing an oversized light pink hoodie along with a pair of grey sweatpants. "Where should I put those?" She asks as she points to the bag full of wrapped gifts. "Put it in the back." I say as I drive. We stay silent for a while. There isn't really anything we should talk about. We both fucked up last night. She broke her promise to me by coming to my house alone. I didn't make sure she won't be here last night. She was there. Being eyed by everyone. By the most dangerous guys in the whole of California. I didn't like it. "Are you still mad at me?" She asks softly. My eyes are focused on the road. Mad at her? I am not mad at her. I am mad at myself. I am the stupid one. I have to protect her. Not the other way around. "No." I mumble under my breath. "Don't lie to me, Tobias." She says. I feel her hand on mine. "I am not mad at you, Ruby. I am mad at myself." I say as I stop the car. My eyes at staring at the wheel. I can't bear look at her. "I am sorry. I really didn't mean to come." She says in a low voice that almost sounded like a whisper. "Just forget it, Ruby." I say trying to get my mind away from it. I get out of the car. I grab the gifts from the back seat. We walk together to Ash's front door. We knock. "Merry Christmas, Fouls!" Ash says as he open the door. He's wearing a pink fluffy sweater along with pair of glittery jeans. He's wearing a Santa hat. It looks hilarious. He takes the gifts from the both of us as we enter. "We are in the living room." He says as he goes into the kitchen. We enter the living room. Jim is sitting on the floor with a pile of gifts in front of him. A Christmas tree is laying by the fireplace. The Christmas spirt is filling this room. Jim is wearing a green sweater along with jeans. "Hey." He says as he gets up and gives us both a hug each. I sit down on the sofa. "Well, since mom and dad are out of town. We get to spend the whole night here!" Ash says as he comes with a plate full of cookies and four mugs of hot chocolate. He gives us mugs each. He sits next to Jim on the ground. Ruby sits next to me. "Well, who should start?" He asks. "I will." Jim says as he gets up and stands in front of us. He grabs the first gift that has his name. "Well, nice wrapping." He says as he examines the gift. This is not mine. He removes the wrapping to reveal a beautiful photo frame. "Oh, Ash. This is beautiful." He says as he shows us the photo. It is a photo of him and Ash on the motorcycle. They are both smiling widely. He leans down and kisses Ash. He places the frame down. He grabs my gift. Well, it's kinda obvious. "Well, Is it a watermelon?" He asks. I try to hold my laugh so he won't discover that I bought him this gift. "A helmet? Well, that's a tough one." He says as he looks at me and Ruby. "It is you Woods, isn't it?" He asks smiling. I nod smiling . "That leave us to the last gift. From Ruby." He says. We all laugh. He open the gift. It is gloves for his motorcycle. "Thank you, Ruby." He says as they hug. He sits back next to Ash. "Come on, Tobias." She says as she push me up. I get up to stand where Jim was standing. I grab the first gift. It has res wrapping, with green Christmas socks. I remove the wrap. It is a pocket knife. I like it. It is light. It is grey. "That's Jimmy's, isn't it?" I say. I figure out. Ash is too soft to get me a pocket knife and Ruby won't like that idea with her mother altitude. "You figured me out." He says. I place the pocket knife into my pocket. I grab a box. It is red and white. I open it. There is a shirt along with two records. And a little keychain. It has a picture. It is us. Me and her. Together. She has such a sweet smile. God she is beautiful. I look at her. She is smiling like a little kid. I smile back. I am officially in love with Ruby Clark.