Close

Without a second thought I raised my hand and swung it at full force where it connected with Loki's cheek.
The slap echoed across the chamber as my body shook uncontrollably, rage coursing through my veins.
   Loki didn't look me in the eye, his face red and teary-eyed.
He clicked his jaw in place and let out a small cough.

"Wow", he gasped.

   I suddenly felt my mind returning to my body as my hand started to sting.
Tears began streaming down my face, and soon I was choking back sobs that had been lodged in my throat. Everything was blurry and my head started to pound, so I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to breathe steadily.
   That's when I felt two arms wrap around me, and I let my body collapse into a warm embrace.
   I continued to cry as a thick blanket was draped over my back. I couldn't stop the tears no matter how hard I tried, I even got the hiccups as I clung onto the person under the covers with me for dear life.
   We laid there for a while, his breathing steadying mine.
I knew that I was meant to be angry, that I was meant to give him a piece of my mind, that I was meant to figure him out- but laying with him, in his arms, was the only thing my body let me do.
   Just hearing his heartbeat, knowing he was alive was enough.
He would face my wrath someday, just not now.

"I really am sorry."

   As he spoke, I could feel his chest gently rumble.

"I should have seen what you were going through, what I was putting you through."

   He sighed and my whole body moved with him.

"I tried to fix it, I tried to find a way to get you back home.

"I asked them, I, Loki, one of their own, begged them.
But they didn't listen, they wouldn't listen.
You have to believe me, I didn't know what else to do, I just wanted, all I wanted was-"

   Instinctively, I reached out my hand from under the covers and found his face.
   I gently cupped his cheek as his breath hitched slightly at my touch, and I whispered the one thing I had wanted to tell him every moment since he vanished.

"I believe you."

   He didn't say anything for about a minute. Then, his breathing became irregular and the hand I had placed on his face felt wet. I didn't look up. I didn't need to. I just wanted him to feel safe for a moment.
   After a while I felt his face shift a little, and instead of his cheek I felt something softer. He kissed the center of my palm first, then my fingers, and then my wrist. I could feel my pulse skyrocket and my breathing quicken,
   He chuckled lightly and moved his face away from my hand and instead to the top of my head. He placed a very small kiss right above my forehead and sighed.

"Thank you"

   I was still in a daze from the feeling of his lips on my hand, so I forgot what it was we were even talking about.

"For what?", I breathed.

   He pulled my body closer to his, forming a cocoon of blankets around us and slowly guided my face to meet his gaze.
   I looked into his eyes and saw a boy, just a boy.
   A boy I had met in my dreams such a long time ago. He leaned in closer to my face and as he whispered his lips brushed mine.

"For giving me a place to call home."