chapter 4

millie

in the morning, sadie found finn in her bed. she slipped out of caleb's room (and finn's) early in the morning so that joe wouldn't know. she smirked to herself and then shook finn awake so she could have her bed back and go back to sleep.

***

i woke up later, sunlight streaming through the blinds, unto my face. my eyes flickered open, and for a minute i panicked. i wondered where i was, as i didn't automatically know where i was. oh right, this is my new room, my new foster home.

i turned over, expecting to see finn's messy curls. instead i saw sadie's fiery red hair. her pale face was giving me a knowing smirk. "why was finn in here? he was sleeping when i came in earlier."

"i-uh- we weren't tired. we were just talking until we fell asleep last night. that's all." i told the red head.

"righttt." sadie replied sarcastically. "i ship it." she said squealing.

"ship what? we're just friends. barely even." even if i did want to be more than friends. but i knew better than that, i had learned my lesson.

"well...he likes you. he's usually a loner, he doesn't really talk or spend time with people he doesn't like. it took ages for him to talk to me and noah." she explained.

i sighed. what was i thinking? i couldn't do this. not again. i lifted my body off the bed, and out of the cozy blankets. i grabbed a bag of toiletries and shuffled out of the room. just as i left, i called to sadie, "we're just friends!"

"okayyy" sadie called back, in a mocking tone.

walking down the hall, i bumped into noah. "who are you just friends with?" he questioned. "cause you're not just friends with finn. i can tell. i have a sixth sense for this type of stuff." he added, nodding to himself.

i just scrunched my eyebrows in confusion before entering the bathroom.

***

finn and i exited the store, me with many bags in my hand. finn with one, as he had begged joe to give him some money. joe had given me money, and told me to 'go crazy'.

i had learned that sadie worked at skateboard shop, and she loved to skateboard. caleb worked at a cool shoe store, and that's where his love for sneakers came from. gaten worked at a place called scoops ahoy. joe said that noah was too young and irresponsible.

we asked if noah wanted to come with us, but he rejected our offer claiming that he wanted to, "give us lovebirds some time alone." I just scoffed.

we were at the car, an older minivan, when finn got a call. i got in the car, to give him privacy. i didn't want to be rude. although before i got in, i saw the contact. it was somebody named iris.

a little bit of jealousy flared inside me. why was i jealous though? i didn't like him, he was just my friend.

as he was talking, he looked happy. he kept nodding, and laughed a little. he said one last thing before hanging up the phone. it looked like he said, 'i love you'.

i wonder if it was his girlfriend. i mean he was cute, and nice, and funny. of course he had a girlfriend.

he opened the car door, and slide into the passenger seat, "sorry about that." he apologized.

"no, it's totally fine" i told him. but i said it a little too fast, and a little too peppy. he just raised an eyebrow but said nothing more.

my leg bounced up and down the whole car ride as i looked out the window. this was a nice town, not like the city. where homeless were scattered and everything was dirty with trash all over the place.