A Cruel World

Benvolio

I hoped, no, I knew I'd be safe here. Here with mercusio, with tybalt. At least, once I got them to trust me.

Maybe our family was cross at romeo for killing someone, maybe our family was upset we couldn't find mercusio at a time like this, and maybe they were furious to find out I was gay, for not just one, but two people. And so, me being the only target at the time, took the full force of their attack. Now I know why people are so scared of the montagues and capulets, we're vicious.

Once that was completed, I snuck away, going to the place I knew they would be, after all they are my crushes. But they weren't here, they were out, probably taking the long way home as I knew they'd been spending time with romeo and, don't tell anyone I know this, Juliet, his wife? So I sit here, waiting. And they arrive, mercusio asleep in tybalts arms, and I could just feel the hatred for me rolling off of tybalt, but he didn't know, noone knew, I'd refused to tell them since I had arrived. But I turned around, saw him look me up and down, and saw his anger dissolve immediately. Heard mercusios sound of suprise, a little whimper I'd never heard from him before. And, and I suppose I broke.

Mercurio

I didn't know what was happening. W well l more accurately I did and just didn't know why. The person I considered to be my brother was here, showing us his scars. I know what this is. I know what this represents. I know, and I'm scared it'll happen to me soon enough. He was disowned. Publicly humiliated. Given to the lesser. And here he was, Tring to find comfort in me, in my boyfriend, despite that probably being the reason for all of this, being gay.

Benvolio

Crying lightly I stood with shakey legs and took a step towards them, needing their comfort, their warmth, even if only for tonight. Because, how can anyone accept me? Like me even? In this cruel world why would your crush ever like you back?

Trying ot take a step pain takes over my whole body and I stumble a bit, farther proving my weekness infornt of all these people. You see, they know. They know what me looking like this means, me being here means and by tomorrow everyone will know. No one will accept me.

And then I'm scooped up, whisked away into the saftey of a privet room here, huddled in between the two people I trust the most at the moment, even if I've never spoken to one of them. And I know I said I broke earlier, but that was nothing compared to what hit me now. It was like I was drowning, being pulled down by sharks. An impossible situation. One that only leads to hurt.

Do you know what hurts the most though? It's not the fact that I've been beaten black and blue. Or that I'm now homeless. Or that I've shown weekness. It's that they are here, the ones that caused it the most, trying to fix me without being asked, without thinking, and the fact they have no idea its all about them makes it all so much worse.

But at least I feel something now, something I felt since I first saw their faces, hope. Hope for love. Hope for survival. Hope good enough for me.