12• Mr. Gnome & The Fairy Ring

🐏

🐏

On this bright sunny day, in the gardens behind a wonky cottage, is a girl meandering about under the shade trees by the greenhouse. Inside, five beasts bicker and debate on the revelations the young girl told them. She's oblivious to this, her mind too overwrought to stay on a single thought for longer than a moment.

It is how the dear girl found herself on an unexpected adventure in the vegetable garden nearby. For as the Unseelie fairy told her - there are hidden secrets under every toadstool if one will only look hard enough...

The garden here is beautiful. It's an untamed paradise, wild and magical. My fingers graze the petals of mismatched flowers and the leaves of foreign ferns as I make my way deeper and deeper within. Just behind the little wooden greenhouse where I'd peered in to see herbs of another world cozy and warm inside, there's a maze of paradise. I'd wandered deep within the hedge bushes and their thorny tentacles that reached out at unsuspecting visitors.

In here I feel as if I'm dreaming. There's no need to close my eyes and wish the world away. No serious thought can thrive in the garden of magical unknowns.

Deep in its depths, far beyond where I'd thought it'd go, is a patch of garden with rows of sprouts. It's in the row of potatoes that I hear rustling and grunting.

"Dag blast it all! I'll show you!" Comes a grouchy growling voice from somewhere in the garden.

I blink, not expecting to find anyone out here. From the way the others spoke, it's only us out here in the wild lands. I look all around me, scanning the foliage to the forest just a ways away from the end of Fakir's garden. The vegetable garden seems to mark the end of their property. As far as the eye can see is only thick forest that is eerily silent.

I quickly look away from the forest, coming to the conclusion that I never want to go in there. At least not by myself.