Chapter 41

Gray had gone out to gather firewood so they could start a fire and boil water which Reverend Makarov needed to wash his hands and clean wounds. He had just picked up the first log when suddenly a voice screeched.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?!"

Startled he dropped the log on his foot.

"Ow!" He shouted clutching his foot. Looking behind himself he saw Minerva's raven perched on a tree branch.

"Why is Juvia still alive?" She asked. "I thought that you were going to kill her."

"Get yourself another assassin lady because I'm through!" Gray replied angrily.

"What did you just say?"

"You heard me! I want out!"

"May I remind you of how much gold you're throwing away over this? I could make you richer than you've ever dreamed of!"

"Keep your bloody gold! I don't want it anymore! Not if it means that I have to kill her to get it!"

"You said that you would kill her!"

"Well I changed my mind!"

"You will not disobey me huntsman! I must have her heart! I must eat it!"

"Eat it?! Oh God! Lady you're more sick and depraved than I thought!"

"You don't understand! I need her heart! If I eat her heart then I shall acquire her loveliness and be beautiful forever!"

"I don't care why you want to eat it! It's still cannibalism and I don't want any part of it!"

"I see then I guess you'll have to suffer the same tragic outcome that be fell Rogue."

"What are you talking about?"

"Rogue was a former servant of mine and I thought that he was my most loyal servant but I was proven wrong because when I ordered him to kill Juvia he defyed me and let her escape! So I turned him to stone and now he's spending the rest of his miserable life as a lawn ornament!"

"So you're gonna turn me to stone?"

"Well I was but now that I think about it I think that's too good for the likes of you! If you don't kill her and bring me her heart then I'll hunt you down and subject you to the same torture you suffered ten years ago! Now what was it you endured again? Oh yes you were strapped down and beaten! But I will make that ten times worse! I'll have you strapped down and beaten daily until you drop dead!"

Gray shuddered at her words and horrible memories of when he was a little boy and Reverend Hades tortured him. The painful and seemingly neverending stings and burns of the whips and torches as they lashed his back repeatedly. The hard and cold shackles that bound his arms and legs leaving them sore and aching. He still had nightmares about that day and he couldn't bear to go through it again for one day let alone everyday for the rest of his life. He couldn't imagine anything more frightening.

"Now do we understand each other?" She said seeing his face turn pale with fear.

Gray only nodded.