Chapter 18: I Can't Live Without You

I'm staring at both of my parents waiting for them to answer me.

"What is the thing we need to talk about so bad?" I ask again.

"In fact, it's not what, it's who", mom murmurs.

"We... adopted someone. Not someone, we adopted Hannah. She's your little sister now", dad says without even looking at me in the eyes.

"Wait... What?! Are you trying to replace James [my little brother who died] or me?" I ask. I'm honestly so pissed and confused and I don't know, disappointed, I guess.

"We're not replacing anyone! James will always live in our hearts, and you are very much alive, so there's no one who'd need to be replaced!" mom exclaims.

"I can't believe-" I gasp.

"Aren't you happy for us?" mom asks, offended.

"Whatever", I mutter, stand up and go to my room upstairs.

This is not something that happens everyday. Your parents don't just adopt a random kid and without even asking your opinion before doing that. I don't know what to think about this.

I lie down on my bed staring at the ceiling. I hear steps on the stairs and then a knock on my door.

"Do you at least want to see your little sister?" mom asks though the door.

"Okay then", I murmur and sit down on my bed. Mom opens the door and walks in with a small, blonde girl.

"Hi, I'm Hannah", she says, smiling. She seems actually pretty sweet.

"I'm (Y/N), umm... Nice to meet you?" I don't know why it sounds like a question, I guess I'm still just really confused and shook.

I get to know her a little better during dinner. She's just a basic 5-years-old kid who likes playing with Barbies and watching cartoons. Nothing special about her, honestly.

Finally the night comes and I go to sleep, but I'm feeling restless so I'm just lying on my bed, eyes closed, thinking about Snape.

I don't regret anything in this world more than I regret breaking up with him and kissing Harry. It was so fucking stupid. I was stupid. I'm crying before I even realize. God, I miss Snape so much, why did I have to fuck everything up?

I hear something on my window and my heart starts beating so fast I can feel it on my chest and hear it inside my head. Has someone come to murder me? I'm so scared that I can't move. I hear the thing again. Sounds like someone threw a little stone on the window... Maybe someone's just trying to get my attention?

I hesitate for a second and then get up and walk quietly up to my window. I pull the curtains away and open the window, trying not to make any noise. The cold night air fills the room and I'm shivering as I look down to the garden. I see a figure of a man in the dark and all of my fears disappear. I recognize him immediately... He's Snape. He's waving at me, but he's not smiling... Which shouldn't be surprising because I mean he almost never smiles, but anyway I'm a little nervous to see him because he probably hates me now. So, a smile would be nice in this situation...

I put on a coat and sneak downstairs and get out from the side door. I manage doing all that without making a sound, which is perfect. I take a deep breath before I look up to face him... and his beautiful eyes.