Chapter Nine- Laurel

Shouts came from in the hallway into the room. I woke up when Annie, Rachel, and Christine shook me awake. I jumped out of bed and put on some shoes. Guards led me and the other Selected down a small hallway, where a small group of five rebels ambushed us. Three guards from the back, where I was, rushed to fight them while the rest hurried the Selected into a safe room. A rebel grabbed me from behind and I fell and scrapped my knee. I watched as a guard shot the rebel cleanly through his stomach and helped me up. The Selected where long gone. I stood up and asked the guard where the Selected went. He didn't know, but through my tears, I read his name tag...... Collin R. I asked him where the nearest saferoom was and he told me it was for the royal family and gave me directions. I ran and ran and ran and pounded on the door of the saferoom. Finally, Queen America opened and I went inside.

        I woke up breathing hard and sat up. Annie came rushing in. "Oh dear, you're sweating!" She exclaimed. "I just came to tell you that you girls get the day to yourselves. Everyone's all shaken up about the attack, and most of the people here are cleaning up," she smiled, "Oh and Alexandra is getting together the Selection girls for a sleepover tonight in her room. You can go now, if you want."

        I smiled a little. That was so like Alexandra. "I'll get ready," I told her and got out of bed. I brushed my teeth, changed into a relaxing empire dress, and packed some pajamas, then I checked the clock- 10:32 am. Wow, I slept for a long time. I made my way over to next door, Alexandra's room. When I got there, it seemed like half of the 25 girls were already there. Alexandra ran up to me. "Laurel! I'm so glad you could make it! Annie's a good maid, isn't she?" Alexandra introduced me to everyone. I said hi and set my stuff down on the coach. Apparently we were spying on the people in the garden, which Alexandra's room faced. Some of the rebels who entered from the graden ruined plants and splattered blood on the pavement, which some people were trying to clean up. Next to me, a girl named Dove made a face. "Gross," she said.

        We weren't allowed to go in the garden, or anywhere outside for that matter. We weren't even allowed out on any balconies. Then, one of Alexandra's maids, apparently named Nina, called us down for lunch. So, all of us went downstairs in our fancy dresses and ate lunch without the royal family. It was delicious, of course.

        Afterwards, Prince Christian came in and asked to me; alone. I gulped before looking at Alexandra one last time and following him down a hallway. "So, um, this is awkward but will go go on a date with me?" Prince Christian asked me once we were alone. I looked around. "Me? But aren't you supposed to be dating like 25 other girls at the same time too?" I asked.

            Prince Christian hesitated. "Yeah, that seems to be the rule. But, you know, you're the first one I asked." I blushed. That had to mean something. "Ok, sure. What do you want to do?" I asked nervously. He thought for a moment, then asked in return, "Your choice. You've got the whole palace to chose from." I smiled and something popped into my head. "How about..... a movie night?" I asked. He smiled and nodded in return and told me that he would come get me when it was time.

             I hurried back to Alexandra's room and I couldn't stop smiling the whole way there. Prince Christian just asked me out on a date! Alexandra and a bunch of other girls crowded around me at the door. "Sooooooooo what did he say?" Alexandra asked eagerly. 

              I didn't want anyone to become jealous or hate me, but I answered anyways. "He asked me out on a date!" I squealed. "But don't worry, he'll get around to go guys, I'm positive." The girls answered with a series of squeals, but some of them just looked plain jealous. I couldn't help but notice that Winter wasn't here.