Chapter Thirteen- Laurel

Nicole and Taylor were eliminated the next day. I didn't know much, but I heard from gossip and rumors that Maxon had talked to them privately, and right afterwards, they went to their rooms to pack their things. We were down to 21 girls. Our group was missing Theresa. It just didn't feel the same, maybe even better. The entertainment and location groups were also missing one person.

     Over the next 5 days, we finished planning and presented our plans to Sylvia. Dove showed Sylvia our plans and the rest of us explained. When we were finished, Sylvia nodded with what seemed like pride. "Nice job, girls! Your next step is to start looking for a way to bring this to life. You can ask your maids to make the dresses, visit some other people in the palace for decorations, you name it and I can help," Sylvia smiled.

        We spilit up and assigned each of us different jobs to do. I was in charge of getting the dresses and accessories, Milla and Dove were supposed to meet with other groups to make sure of things and get half of the decorations, and Quinn and Winter were assigned with getting the other half of the deocrations. 

       I walked toward my room later that day with my head filled with thoughts. Everything was coming together, and Winter didn't turn out to be that bad of a person. Well, at least a planner. When I opened the door, Christine and Rachel crowded around a small circle. Annie was no where in sight. "Hey guys, what's going on?" I asked, trying to peer over their shoulders. Rachel looked like she was crying. I looked down and saw what they were crying about. On the ground below them lay the body of Annie. There wasn't much blood, just a bullet shot cleanly through her head. I gasped and bent down. Christine put a hand on my shoulder.

        "How?" I simply asked without looking up. Christine shook her head and blinked back tears. "We just heard glass shatter," she nodded towards the shattered window, "So we rushed in here and well...." She started crying again. Rachel hugged her and squeezed her shoulders. "We haven't told anyone yet. It was the rebels," Rachel whispered to me while still holding on to Christine, who was crying into her shoulder.

        I bit my lip. "Telling someone would be the right thing to do," I told her. Rachel nodded. "But who to tell?" She questioned.

        "I'll talk to the captain of the gaurd. He hangs around the room where we work sometimes, I'm sure that I can catch him. In fact, I can do it tomorrow." Rachel nodded and approved of my plan. 

        The next morning, I went down to the dining room, keeping my eyes out for the captian of the guard. He was there, just as I had hoped. I walked up to him before breakfast was served and told him what has happened. His eyes widdened, but all the same, he nodded and promised me that he would tell the king, queen, or prince. 

        And tell he did. Not long after breakfast, Queen America called me into her office for a private meeting, just the two of us. "I heard about Annie," she said, breaking the silence. I nodded, and she continued. "You know, the rebels weren't trying to hit her." I found that hard to believe. Why would rebels shoot a palace room in the first place if not to try and kill someone? Of course I wouldn't tell the Queen that though. So instead, I just gave her my confused, yet pissed off look.

        Queen America gave me an expression that said Just as I thought. "It's hard to explain, and I don't want you to freak out. But I know for a fact that- I'm going to be honest with you- that the rebels were hoping to hit you."