Chapter Sixteen- Christian

I got the news later that day. Livia had told Laurel about who she was- the true heir to the crown. She would never look at me the same way ever again. But the truth is, whenever I put on my crown, I feel guilty inside. I feel like I'm stealing Laurel's crown. Curse those rebels. Without them, Laurel would've had her happily ever after, and I would've been able to live a normal life, just as I had always wanted to.

        Before I knew it, Friday came around. The last 3 shows during the Selection were quick and fast, but enough to get the point across and sastify the crowd (that was hard). But this time, the crowd would be expecting details and juicy information. Gavril was planning to annouce the results from the poll- which Selected girl do you want as your next queen- tell Illea updates on the Selection, and have the royal family speak. Speak what? I have no idea. 

     I watched as the Selected girls filed in backstage with their fancy dresses and makeup. I straightened my tie, smoothed my suit, and walked over to Laurel. "Hey," I said nervously. 

        She looked up at me and smiled. "Oh hi! So, you heard that I found out..." she said in an almost sarcastic tone.

        "Yup. You're not mad are you? You're starting to sound a little sarcastic," I really hoped she wasn't mad. When you get a girl mad, they're going to stay mad at you for a long time. 

        "I am? Sorry, I can't control it. But, no! No, I'm not mad at all. Not mad. At all," Laurel said nervously. She blushed right after she finished talking. 

        "Good, good. Well, I got to go prepare now, but good luck!" I said to her and walked away.

        The show began. Gavril introduced all the girls in his deep, booming voice. Then, he annouced the winner of the poll. I hoped it would be Laurel, even though I knew it wouldn't be. Winter was first, then Quinn. They were the crowd favorites, just as I had thought when I was selecting girls. 

        When it was time for me to speak- about my opinion on the Selection so far- I had no idea what to say. I quickly made up something in my head. "It's going well. It's hard to select which girls to eliminate each week, and I am very pleased with the girls that were Selected this year. I wish every one of them good luck in the future, no matter if they will win the crown, or not." Gavril smiled, and I looked over at my parents, who smiled too, meaning that I had done a good job. Everyone clapped and I took a huge sigh of relief.