Chapter Ten- Laurel

Tomorrow couldn't get here fast enough. I was nervous and excited all at the same time. The morning of, I was sure to get my maids to bathe my in the sweetest scent there was, put on just the right amount of makeup, put on perfume- Lavishing Rose, and wore a beautiful, yet relaxing rose-colored column dress. I was ready. "A little fancy for a movie night, isn't it?" Christine asked while she was putting on my jewelry. 

           I was very careful when I went downstairs to breakfast that morning. Most of the people who didn't know about my date smiled at me. Others who knew about it weren't as kind. They glared at me and snorted. I looked down and continued walking until I reached my seat near the end of the table, next to two girls named Bree and Nicole. They seemed nice up to this point, but today they just looked away and refused to meet my eyes. Alexandra gave me a don't listen to them look. I smiled a little.

        When Prince Christian walked in, all eyes were on him. He smiled a little at me, and I blushed. More girls glared at me. I looked down again, and straightened my dress. I was so relieved when breakfast was served. Eggs, bacon, biscuts, orange juice, you name it. It was a breakfast buffet. The best one, by far. A thought lingered in the back of my mind, but I shut it away. That could never be true. I ate quickly, but I ate a lot. A took one last gulp of orange juice and excused myself to go back up into my room.

        Once I was safely back into my room, I brushed my teeth again, wanting to keep my teeth in perfect shape for well, the date. Okay, that came out wrong. He would never kiss me, and even if he did, it certainly wouldn't be on the first date. Maybe around the fifth, I guess if I even made that far. 

         I sighed. It was time to get back to the Selection. I went back downstairs, where some girls were finishing up their breakfast. I ignored everyone who looked at me and kept my head held high. I sat down in my seat and watched as Sylvia walked in and stood at the front of the room.

          "I hope we all enjoyed our delicious breakfast this morning, courtesy of Prince Christian," Sylvia started golf-clapping and we all joined in. "Now, down to buisness. But first, I have an annoucement to be made. It is a very sad one, indeed," she cleared her throat, "Yesterday night, around midnight, the rebels who attacked us decided to attack the Twos and Threes who lived in Angeles." I gasped. My parents and my sister fit into that category. Were they alright? Several gasps and looks of sorrow appeared on girls' faces.

        Sylvia continued talking. "The number of deaths was higher than we had hoped, but since they weren't ready to defend themselves, we decided to station soldiers in every neighborhood, in every province to ensure our safety. I have letters for some of you that arrived this morning, if you would come get them when I call you up please." She called over half of the girls in here, including me. I stood up and got the letter. It was obviously Blair's handwriting. I wondered if she was okay right now.

        I held the letter in my lap as Sylvia continued talking. "Anyways, now that that's out of the way, I can tell you your first task. We have a new ally, Italy, thanks to Queen America," she nodded and smiled toward Queen America, who in return smiled back. "We have invited them to come to the palace for a celebration in exactly 2 and a half weeks. Which means that you girls are going to be split into groups and will each be in charge of a very important part of the event. Now remember, even though you are in different groups and each doing different things, every single one of you has to work together in order to make this a success. This is a key part of being a queen, so I will be taking notes." Sylvia gave us a stern look. I wondered if Queen America had to do something like this when she was in the Selection. Then, I thought about the assignment. If Sylvia was going to take notes, then some people must get eliminated afterwards. 

        "Here are your groups: Alexandra, Celia, Alison, Kathleen, Stella, and Bree with food; Quinn, Milla, Laurel, Winter, Dove, and Theresa with decorations and outfits; Rosalie, Bliss, Sabrina, Jade, Nicole, and Scarlett with entertainment; and Kaitlyn, Celestia, Jocelyn, Lisa, Taylor, and Fiona with location. Location group, you guys get the head start. So get started searching for your location. It can be anywhere in the palace, even the gardens, if you need help, I'm always here. All of you girls should meet back in here at 4:00 to discuss your ideas. Now, get to work!" Sylvia took a deep breath, and I looked around the table to find my group. It was full of interesting, different people. I've met Winter, Dove, and Theresa before and they seemed pretty nice. Well maybe Theresa was a little boring, but still nice. 

        Sylvia let the location group go first, since they had to pick a location so everyone else could get started. I felt that they had the easy job, because that was all they needed to do. Maybe Sylvia expected them to help other groups put it together. I pictured the celebration in a garden, with nature themed food, decorations, and clothing. If only. I sighed. 

        After lunch was over, I went back up to my room and opened the letter. 

        Dear Laurel,

        How's life at the palace going? Your so lucky, I still can't believe that you got chosen! Mom and Dad send their love, by the way. Anyways, try to write back and update us on what's going on. I'm dying to know! Prince Christian must be so handsome. How are all the other girls? Are they nice? They'd better be, especially to me sister. Gotta go soon, homework. I'll keep up on TV, but it's just so much better to hear from you in person (er via mail) than to hear the TV version of the story. Write back soon!

                                                                                                                       Love, Blair

        I smiled. Blair seemed so much nicer when she wrote stuff. I pulled out some paper and a pencil and started writing, but a knock at the door interrupted me. "Oh I'll get it," called Annie, who rushed to the door. When she opened it, I could see Prince Christian's head of perfect dirty-blonde hair. I gasped and rushed to the mirror. 

        "Oh she's just getting ready, I'm sure she'll be out any minute now," I heard Annie tell Prince Christian. As quickly as I could, I combed my hair, fixed my outfit, and re-applied perfume. Then, I nervously stepped out into the bedroom and smiled. "I'm ready now," I annouced. Prince Christian looked at me, signaling for me to come over. I walked over to the door and said goodbye to Annie. She whispered good luck and shut the door behind us.