Chapter 15

It was still pretty early so, we went to an arcade in the mall, but it was pretty run down. Street Fighter II still worked at least and I don't lose as Cammy. The other machines barely work, so it didn't take long for us to leave again. Arcades that don't work, an antique shop that's been around since the depression, a candy store that sells candied ants and jaw breakers the size of a baby, a crappy convenience store with swords and knock-off Pokemon cards.

It's no wonder other gay people would be here. Nobody else would want to be here, might as well make the most of it. I don't care either way. I get to be with him in public with no judgment. What else could I possibly want?

A conclusion to that stupid campaign would be nice.

We got bored after a while, so we left and he took me to a cliff over looking the town. You know the one, it's that one cliche in movies you wish was real. The cool and quiet air with the dark surroundings, the only sound being the wind brushing through the trees. The feeling that someone may be watching you from the darkness that may or may not be a turn on. Or a werewolf. Or Haley.

We hopped out of the truck when we arrived and he opened the bed, where he had one of those square domes (I don't know what they're called) over it. He climbed in and switched on small string lights, revealing a bed made of blankets and pillows sitting in the back. There were snacks hanging out of a net on the sides and a small cooler off to the side.

"You just drive around with a whole bedroom in your car?" I asked.
"Yep," He said, settling in and taking his shoes off. "I took it out a while ago to clean everything, but it's always back here." He took my hand and helped me up and into the back. "I come up here a lot when I need to think."
"I thought that was what your parents shop was for?" I asked, removing my shoes and the button up.
"Yeah, but that's only when I need to stay after to clean. This is where I usually go when I don't anyone to see or hear from me."

He sat next to me, throwing his shoes into the front seat from the back window. I followed, throwing mine in there as well. I looked out of the open gate, the town lights beneath us. It almost looked like a small galaxy from here. It's enough to make you feel small, but proud to call it home. I'm not the biggest fan of this home, obviously, but it is home and that's where the heart is or whatever. It almost feels unreal and distant, like everything that happened didn't actually happen.

But it did and I can't run from that, as much as I would like to.

It isn't possible for my brain to stay still or quiet. Sometimes it leads to random thoughts, sometimes it leads to nothing. Most of the time, it leads to me thinking about life. About all the tuff with Brandon before today and with Madison. How I used her to ignore something I shouldn't have to ignore. How I got caught up in a game I didn't wanna play with Mason and his friends.

About Ben.

"I'm sorry," I said as Brandon shuffled through the nets.
"For tonight?" He asked, pulling a bag of O'reos out. "You don't have to feel bad about that. He had it coming. If you're worried about me punching someone, then I don't feel bad about that, either. He deserved it and I had no problem standing up for you."

He leaned back, getting closer to me so his shoulder was pressed against mine and opened the bag, the smell of artificial chocolate and vanilla filling the bed.

"Brandon."
"Hm?" He said, stuffing one into his mouth.
"Why are we here?"
"I thought it would be fun," He said, his mouth still full.
"You thought it would be fun to bring me to a murder spot?" He chuckled for a second, only getting serious when he noticed I actually was upset.
"Do you want me to take you home?" He asked, disappointedly. I don't wanna leave, but it's probably better if I do.