Chapter 8

Jayla Santiago's POV

The car ride so far has been awkward and silent.

The only sound is the sound of the engine whirring and the soft music from the radio.

I text my girl best friend, Temah, telling her how deep in shit I am.

She responds by laughing at me and telling me that I 'better suck it the fuck up'.

I tell her that it's not funny and she laughs again, before promising me that her apartment door is always open if it ever gets to be too much.

I promise to call her later and spill everything.

The car suddenly stops and I look outside of my window.

A bleak set of apartments stand tall and dauntingly grey.

I see a couple of young boys standing outside of the apartments, smoking weed and drinking.

I recognise them in their red clothes and red bandanas as bloods and I roll my eyes.

Wannabes.

I see a young and familiar looking girl standing with them wearing little to nothing and a heap-load of makeup.

She is mixed race, tall and quite skinny.

Her damaged partly dyed blonde hair is tied on top of her head in a messy bun and her green eyes immediately move to the car and a smirk appears on her face.

Luis turns to me.

"Stay in the car" He says to me.

I nod, not trusting myself to speak.

His voice is deeper than the last time I remember.

He steps out of the car and makes his way over to the girl along with the crowd.

The crowd of boys awkwardly but quickly make way for him to walk towards her, some fear etched on their faces.

Luis puts his hands in his pockets and says something to the girl.

She says something back and he rolls his eyes, a look of annoyance setting on his face.

She giggles, obviously happy that she has irritated him, but he doesn't look impressed.

He suddenly grabs her arm and all the boys around them step away some more.

She glares at them sharply.

He pulls her towards the apartments and says something to her, seemingly calm, but I can see the anger in his stance.

She tries to flirt with him but he steps back.

She pouts and then goes into the block of apartments.

Luis taps his foot impatiently and then a few minutes later, the same girl reappears with a child in her arms.

I squint to get s better look at the child and my heart jumps.

He is a complete photocopy of Luis!

From his eyes to his nose and even some of his mannerisms, he looks exactly like Luis.

He even has Luis' head shape.

In my head, I quickly gather and fit all the pieces into place.

The boy is clearly Luis' son.

And that girl...

The reason I find her so familiar is because I know her!