Chapter 16

Jayla Santiago's POV.

"Are you sure I can't convince you to stay in today?" Luis asks, snuggling into my neck, arms around my hips.

I chuckle.

"Luis, you're a lawyer! You know as well as I do, that you can't be breaking contracts and getting away with it" I tell him.

He leans towards me and pecks my lips once then twice.

"Luis, I've got to go, before I'm late" I say with a giggle.

"Nah, give me one last kiss" he says.

I lean forwards and kiss him properly as his hands snake down to my ass, giving it a firm squeeze.

I grin at him and pull away, blushing hard.

"I'll see you later tonight" I tell him and he nods.

"Yeah I've got to wake up Kofi anyway" he says with a soft shrug.

I smile back at him and leave, getting into the car.

Donnavan smirks at me through the review mirror.

I flip him a bird and he laughs as we drive down to the house.

                                ***

"Shit" I mutter to myself.

It's freezing out here!

Diav chuckles at me, blowing cigarette smoke out of his mouth and offering me his arm, which I take and he starts to walk.

"This farm is the central hub for all of our investments" he says, nodding towards the large building in front of us, that we start to walk into.

"Your grandfather, Alejandro and my grandfather Miskolc, shared it, but over time it became abandoned.

"Don Alejandro has new ideas for a different farm and when Don Matéo took over, he forgot about this place." He says and I nod.

"After my parents were killed, I found this place and started it up again. So you see, this isn't your turf... It's for both of us. And I brought you here to give you a proposal" he says.

I turn to him.

"I'm listening." I say.

"Leave the farm to me. And this turf. Or you can stay here. With me and keep it." He tells me, sharp brown eyes burning into mine.

My heart drops.

He is serious.

"I know we don't care for each other. You have an interest in Luis, but that is the only way that you can have a share of it" he says.

I let go of his arm.

"No. I can't accept it." I say immediately.

"Not a problem" he says with a heavy shrug.

He chuckles.

"I can't lie to you, I am rather relieved" he says honestly.

I chuckle back.

"What, I am not good enough for you?" I joke, hands akimbo.

He laughs again.

"No, that's not it..." he says eyes trailing shamelessly.

I feel myself blush under his gaze.

"You would make a fine wife... Just not for me. My dear friend, Luis, however!" He says with a deep mischievous smirk.

We're gonna be great friends.

"Diav!" I chastise, holding his arm once again as we continue to walk.

"What?! I stick by what I said! You both would make a wonderful couple! And I know you two are sleeping together!" He admits.

"Diav!" I gasp.

"What?! It's so obvious! The man looks at you like he'd rather have you for dinner than anything my grandma cooks and let me tell you the woman can cook!" Diav chuckles.

I scowl at him.

"Shit! He's done it already has he?!" Diav asks, eyes widening at me.

"Done what?" I ask, fearing his next response.

"Oh, but I think you know exactly what I'm talking about" Diav says with an even deeper smirk.

I look at him confused.

"Tell me!" I say, shaking him, or trying to since he hardly budged.

"Ate you like a damn, meal!" Diav bellows, causing people to look at us funny.

I slap a hand over his mouth.

"Diav, shut up!" I complain, feeling my face go red and hot.

He laughs so hard that he nearly falls over!

"I knew it! I knew it! I knew you'd make up just by the way he looked at you when you stepped into my office and nearly beat that bitch up!" Diav chortles.

"The boy got an instant boner, I'm telling you! Drool and all" he laughs.

I roll my eyes at him and nudge him again as we walk out.

"Let's go and get food, I'm starving!" He groans and I chuckle.

"We can take your car" I suggest and he nods.

We are on the way there, when my phone start to ring loudly.

I pick it up and read the contact.

Leo.

I immediately pick up the call.

"Fratello" I say.

"Jayla, I need you to come home, right now" he says.

He sounds breathless an I immediately know something is wrong.

"What is it? What's wrong?" I ask.

Diav gives me a concerned look.

"Baby girl... it's dad. He- he didn't tell us, but he's sick, sweetheart. He's in hospital" my brother's solemn voice says to me.

My heart drops to my feet and as if I'm slow motion.

My world comes crashing down around me.

Just. Like. That.

————————————————
Hey all!

What did you think of this one?

What do you think is wrong with Matéo?

~ Xo.