Chapter 18

Adeline Santiago's POV

"Matéo, sweetheart... when were you going to tell me?" I ask my husband, holding his hand, our fingers entwined.

My husband of nearly 32 years sits in front of me, hardly able to look me in the eyes, obviously wrestling with his emotions.

I make sure my voice is gentle, so that he knows I'm not angry, just... upset.

There is a silence.

"I didn't want you to have to worry about me, Adeline" he tells me finally.

I sigh and stand up, causing him to finally look at me.

I sit next to him on the hospital bed and I hug him, gently wrapping my arms around my husband.

He lays his head in my neck.

"Baby, I'm exhausted" he mutters.

I stroke his face while letting my nails work through his hair.

He relaxes into me.

"I'm your wife, Matéo. We are supposed to worry about each other! I promised you, I would and you promised the same, the day you put this ring on my finger" I say, raising my left hand.

He sighs.

"I know, I know and I'm so sorry" he tells me.

"I just... I just didn't want you to get too stressed, love." He says.

I shake my head at him.

"I need a favour from you, sweetheart" he says, pulling me closer and clutching onto me tighter, like I will disappear.

"Anything" I respond, holding him tightly.

"When I go, I need you to move on and look after our kids" he says.

His voice cracks a little and I can tell that it's difficult for him.

"I need you to find someone who will be a good enough father figure for the twins and I need you to make sure that the Golden Phoenix is intact." He says.

His voice is heavy with emotion and now that he is looking me in the eyes, I can tell that even the thought is physical painful for him.

Tears are in his blue-green eyes, that he stubbornly refuses to let fall, because the thought of him not being here, stings.

I stare at him in complete and utter shock.

"Matéo... You're not going anywhere, baby. And I refuse to love anybody the way I love you. It's impossible" I confess.

He sighs.

"You have to Ade. I can't be the reason you don't move on and be happy" he says.

I lean towards him and kiss him.

He immediately kisses me back, sweetly, hands in my hair to pull me closer.

I catch his bottom lip in between my teeth and he groans.

I pull away and place a hand on his chest, looking into his eyes.

"Your heart still pounds quickly, when we kiss, like it has done for the past 32 years. Matéo. I'm not. Going. Anywhere." I emphasise.

He pulls me towards him, until our foreheads are touching.

"I need you to promise" he tells me.

"I can't" I respond.

He kisses the end of my nose and sighs softly.

He lays back and I lay with him.

We stay in silence, until he yawns a bit, covering his mouth.

I lay on his chest and he runs his fingers up and down my spine lightly, making me snuggle into him more.

"Baby, could you sing for me?" He asks.

I chuckle and look up at him.

"Baby, you know I haven't sung in ages" I tell him, hiding my face.

"Your voice is still beautiful" he chuckles.

"Go on. Please sing for me baby" he asks.

I sigh and lay his head on my chest.

I sing our favourite song, 'Love- Musiq Soulchild' and he instantly relaxes on me, wrapping his arms around my middle.

I continue to sing softly.

And by the time I finish, I can hear him lightly snoring.

I wriggle from underneath his frame and I kiss his forehead, before leaving the room.

I need to pick the twins up from school.

They both know the truth about their dad, even at their young age and they are the only thing keeping me sane!

I need to get tested!

I'll call Amos and Natasha as well as my father, Jerome, my uncle, Elijah and my brother, Alfonso.

We are all getting tested!

My husband will not leave us!

—————————————————————
Hey all!

What did you think of this one?

~ Xo.