Chapter 25

Jayla Santiago's POV.

"Family of Matéo Eduardo Santiago?" A nurse calls out.

I immediately snap to attention and so does everyone in the room.

She looks down at her clipboard.

"Dr Matthews will see you now" she says.

We all look to my mom, who stands up, signalling me and Leo to follow.

We do as we're told, following my mom to the doctor's office.

My heart starts to pound in my chest as we get closer and I continue saying silent prayers in my head.

We reach the office and my mom grabs my hand, squeezing it gently.

I look at her.

She has a blank expression on her face, but I know that she is scared.

"Come in" Doctor Matthews says.

My mum opens the door.

My brother and I file in after her and my mother and I sit on the chairs, while my brother sits, too anxious to sit with us.

I glance at him and I see a bead of sweat on his brow, betraying his usually calm, cool and collected demeanour.

I look back at the doctor, as he starts to talk.

"Mrs Santiago. Jayla. Leonardo" he greets, shaking her hand and giving my brother and I courteous nods, which we politely return.

He gets straight into it.

"Well first of all, I'm happy to let you know that the surgery had no complications. It went smoothly and Don Santiago is in recovery as we speak. After we are done here, you may go and see him" Doctor Matthew tells us with a big smile on his face.

All of the air knocks out of my lungs immediately, my whole body ready to give way.

"God is good" my mom says with a smile.

I look at her as she remains completely calm, a smile on her face.

Oh, right!

A don has to be contained.

I look at my brother, who's face is flushed with emotions.

He wipes his face and when he looks at the doctor again, his eyes are glossy with happy tears.

My heart pounds as he speaks about the finishing touches of the procedure, that involve my dad staying at the hospital for a couple more days, so they can check on him a little more.

A question, rises to the surface, and I ask it before I can stop myself.

"How's Luis?" I ask quickly, my heart thundering in my chest.

The doctor nods at me, his eyes giving off a knowing sparkle.

"Ah yes. He asked to speak with you specifically, as soon as possible"

My heart flips.

Luis.

"Tell your family the good news and then you can visit Matéo" he says.

As soon as he says this, we stand up, thank him and shoot out of the office to get back to the waiting room.

As soon as we get there, all eyes turn to my mother.

She smiles, but as she tries to say it, her voice cracks and she bursts into tears, nodding happily.

A wave of relief soars over the room and my uncle, Alfonzo stands up to wrap his arms around his big sister.