Chapter 20

Luis Jones' POV

"There's no point, Diav" I sigh into my phone.

"I can't reach her. I don't think she even wants me to reach her, honestly" I tell him sadly.

Diav sighs back.

"It's been weeks. Luis I know what she means to you. But you need to let her go. She has a reason why and I guess you'll know when she's ready." Diav advises.

"You're right" I tell him, steeling my resolve.

I've not called her in days and although I'm worried about her...

If she wanted to explain herself, she would have.

She has my number. She knows how to reach me.

If she wants to get in touch with me, she will.

I should focus on me and my son.

Yeah. That's what I'll do.
***

"Damn, it's fucking freezing" I mutter to myself, stuffing my hands into my pockets.

I'm at Luna's apartment building and I'm walking up the stairs to get my son.

It's been a few days since my eye opening conversation with Diav and things have been going well.

Kofi has been getting all excited for Christmas even though it's a whole month away and my work at the firm has been laying out how I want it to.

I walk up to Luna's apartment and my heart plummets when I see that the front door is slightly ajar.

No.

I burst through the door to see that Kofi is staring blankly at the tv with a set of headphones on.

He must sense my movement, because he immediately turns to face me.

When he sees me, his eyes light up.

"Dad!" He squeals, jumping up and dropping the headphones.

"Kofi!" I say excitedly to match his tone.

My heartbeat returns to normal with relief.

He laughs and runs into my arms and I pick him up, hugging him close to me.

"Where's mommy?" I question him, and his face immediately drops.

"In her room". He responds quietly, looking down.

"What's wrong, son?" I ask him, picking up his face, but he avoids eye contact and wriggles around so that I can put him down.

I freeze all of a sudden.

What's that smell?

Is that... weed?!

Around my son?!

Hell no!

I power walk in the direction of the smell and I stop in front of a door.

Luna's bedroom.

I knock once.

No answer.

I knock again.

No answer.

I grasp the handle, my heart palpitating at a wicked pace.

I try to turn the knob, but the door is locked.

I let go.

Fuck it.

I step back a couple of paces.