Chapter 6 : Truth

Kelly Adams has been a good friend of mine since middle school. With straight A's and a calculator for a brain, she is your average nerd. Since she's a nerd and I'm an art freak, of course we would be friends!

Kelly is bubbly, sweet, optimistic, and human. And like all the other human beings, she's oblivious. (I wonder how she would react if I tell her Ethan is a werewolf, Clarence is a vampire, and Jonah is a warlock…)

I'm kind of jealous of Kelly in a way. What you don't know can't hurt you, and Kelly does not know a lot of dangerous secrets. What if I had grown up with a life similar to Kelly's? Then I wouldn't have to worry about being kidnapped by a sorcerer. Then I wouldn't know the danger I'm in.

Then I would be normal.

The bell rang, signaling the end of sixth period. I gathered up my stuff and walked out of class. Kelly walked beside me down the hall, since both of us had cooking class next. Ah, yes, cooking class. The one class I share with Jonah. Joy.

Suddenly, Ms. Atria opened her door and spotted us, "Noelle! Can you come here for a second?"

Kelly and I walked over, unsure of what Ms. Atria wanted.

"I can't believe I forgot to tell you the fabulous news in class today, Noelle!" Ms. Atria said cheerfully as I walked into her classroom.

"What is it?"

"So I was doing a little research the other day and I found out that Julliard has this scholarship for exceptional high school artists to go to college early," she said, handing me a packet.

"Cool," I said, "but why would I want to go to college early? Aren't I a freak enough?"

Ms. Atria gave me a grown-up, you-are-not-a-freak-you-freak look and continued, "Noelle, I don't think you understand. They give this scholarship to only two people per year. Two! It's an all-expense paid scholarship to the greatest school for the arts. Do you know how great that is?"

"…You didn't answer my question," I said again. "Why should I even apply for this scholarship anyways?"

"Because this is a rare and golden opportunity. You will get a head start in life. You might think that's really nerdy now, but you won't regret it later. Trust me," Ms. Atria smiled. "And you've met all the requirements, almost."

I quickly read over the requirements and found the one I hadn't reached yet: create a work of art for the community. "How do I create art for a community?" I asked.

"I already have it covered. Principal Oakley gave you permission to paint a mural for the school," Ms. Atria answered.

"A mural? Like, on a wall?"

"Yeah, that big, empty, white one by the gym."

"Wow. What do I paint?"

"Anything and everything," she smiled. "It's your mural!"

I considered this for a minute. What if I did paint this mural? What if I did get considered for the scholarship? What if I did get it? What if I did go off to college early? What I did get a head start in my life? I always wanted to go to a city…what if this is my chance?

"So, what do you say?" Ms. Atria asked, more eager than I ever will be.

Kelly, who had been silent all this time, turned to face me, "You should do it, Noelle! You wouldn't want a chance like this to slip away!"

"Okay, I'm in."

"Great! Principal Oakley wants the mural done in two months."

"Sounds good." Two months? Plenty of time.