Chapter 11 : Eyes

Jonah Winters irks me. That's all there is to it.

"Fabulous job you two!" Mrs. White clapped after inspecting the perfect pie Jonah and I baked. Only we didn't bake it. The pie baked itself. Jonah decided to show off his magic again today. I've had it up to here with all his magic baking.

Mrs. White smiled and turned to the rest of the flour-covered cooking class, "Now class, once you get your pie out of the oven, it should look like this," she pointed to ours. "You should all work hard and use precise measures of ingredients like Noelle and Jonah did or else your pie will turn out like that," she pointed to Kelly and Megan's deflated, doughy mess of fruity junk.

It wasn't fair, really. If Jonah didn't use his magic, our cherry pie would look like Kelly and Megan's too. If Jonah didn't use his magic, we would have gotten a C on the project too. If Jonah didn't use his magic, my life would be so much easier. But he did. And now I am acing cooking class with a big, fat, guilty A+.

Stupid Jonah.

"Wow," Megan said, walking over to us with a suspicious look on her face, "that is some pie. I've never seen a pie so deliciously golden. The crust is perfectly cut and the fruit is so red and juicy. It's almost too good. It's like…magical." She turned and glared at Jonah.

"Sure is!" Jonah said with fake excitement. "There is nothing more magical than two friends baking together!" He tried to put his arm around me. I nearly bit it off.

"We are NOT friends," I angrily replied.

"Wolfy!" he put his hand to his heart and pretended to be in pain. Idiot.

Megan rolled her eyes, "Just know that I've got my eyes on you."

"Ooh, so scary!"

Megan pulled her hand back and was about to slap him when Kelly grabbed her hand to stop her. I wish she hadn't.

"Let's not get into a fight here," Kelly intervened.

I sighed, "Yeah, Megan. Jonah is not worth it." I guided both Megan and Kelly off to our desks in the middle of the classroom and we sat down. "So…" I tried to change the subject, "how's life?"

Megan's eyes lit up at the thought of gossip, "Did you hear what happened at lunch today?"

"What?" I asked.

She smiled, leaned her head towards me, and whispered, "Frankie asked Kelly out."

"No way!" I turn to look at Kelly who was getting redder by the second. "What? When did this happen? I was in the cafeteria too! How did I miss this?"

"Well you were sitting with Jonah," Kelly explained quietly. "You always sit with Jonah now. You miss a lot of things these days."

"Why do you sit with him, Noelle?" Megan inquired.

"Because, unlike some people, I'm the only one who can stand Jonah without physically blowing up. So I sacrifice my lunch to prevent all the possible fights that might occur."

"Oh." Kelly looked at me, "I thought it was because you liked him or something."

"WHAT?!" Megan and I both shout. "No, no, no. I have a boyfriend, remember? Clarence? God…me and Jonah? Ew!"

Kelly raised her eyebrows and pointed behind me.

"I don't really care if he's standing right behind me," I continued. "He already knows I hate him. So anyways, I can not believe you are dating Frankie, Kelly! You guys would look so cute together!"

After blushing some more, Kelly smiled.

"And I really wish Jonah would leave me alone so I could sit with you guys at lunch. I would much prefer your company. Or Clarence's," I hoped he would take a hint.