Chapter 5 : Jonah

The alarm clock sounded and woke me up. I yawned and stretched. I flung my legs over the bed and got up, only to realize I was not on my bedroom floor. I stood on Ethan's back. He wriggled from beneath me, and I dropped to the floor next to him. "Ethan?! Why are you in my room?"

He stood up and stretched. "You almost shattered my back, Noelle!"

"You didn't answer my questions." I also stood up. "Why are you here?"

"Wow, you're a heavy sleeper; did you not hear the wolves howl outside last night?"

I raised my eyebrows and said, "Howling?"

"Penelope convened another meeting," Ethan said. "She had another vision concerning those sorcerers and this time you were in it."

"Me?"

"Yep," he paused before responding, "she saw you and Jonah in a car going out of town in the middle of the night."

"What?!"

"Penelope believes Jonah is planning to abduct you, Noelle."

My heart skips a beat. "...abduct? But Penelope's visions aren't always accurate."

Ethan stated, "Actually, they've never been untrue."

"Never? But there will always be a first, right?" I anxiously questioned.

Ethan didn't think so, saying, "Maybe. We hope so. We will all do everything we can to protect you, Noelle. I will not let those sorcerers harm you, I vow. That's why I stayed on your floor last night."

"Oh my God," I thought I was about to have a heart attack. When I glanced around my room, I discovered that my desk had been pushed over and there were scratch marks on the walls. Oh boy. "Did you transform into a wolf inside my room?!"

"...sorry."

I groaned and began gathering up my books, attempting to distract myself from the horrible notion of being whisked away by that crazy warlock child. I found my journal lying a few feet away from the other books.

"Ethan! Did you read my book?!!" I said, enraged!

He raised his hands in defence. "Whoa, Noelle, chill down."

"I can't relax! I have a quick temper!!"

"So I thought about reading it, but I assumed it would be just you gushing about how cute Clarence is, so I didn't. Now stop shouting!" Ethan chuckled.

"All right, good," I murmured, pushing him out the door. "Don't ever read my book. If I become tired and decide to publish it, you may read it then. Now, goodbye!"

"Okay, Noelle," he began, heading down the steps. "I'll see you later."

I walked back into my room and sat on my bed. I opened my book, took out a pen, and began writing furiously.

I have three life goals.

1. Move from this little, uninteresting village to a large, noisy, overcrowded, maybe polluted, skyscraper-filled, bustling, thrilling city.

2. I want to become renowned for my work and live off the money I earn.

3. Become immortal (either way—ideally if Clarence bit me) so that I can live forever.

Kidnapping by a sorcerer is not on my bucket list. Life just became a lot more complex.

We were heading down the corridor at school, five minutes before the bell rang when Megan unexpectedly halted in her tracks. She grabbed my arm and pointed to the corner. "Look!"

I turned around to see Principal Oakley talking to Jonah. Jonah.

"Maybe we should go," Ethan said. We all began heading in the opposite direction when Principal Oakley stopped us.

"Good morning, kids," he said in a loud, cheerful voice.

"Good morning, Principal Oakley," we said collectively.

I sneaked a peek at Jonah. He was gazing at me, smiling. I shivered.