Chapter 13 : Screwed

Yesterday, Natalie was discovered unconscious and extremely pale, so Garret, Penelope and other vampires with medical experience stayed by her side all night, taping off the Taylor's house as a quarantine. We didn't know what the disease was or whether or not it was contagious. I didn't think anything could possible get worse. But this morning, things got a lot worse.

Since their house was now a residence for the sick, the rest of the Taylors spent the night with us. Mrs. Taylor woke up this morning feeling dizzy and when she looked in the mirror, she screamed. She had begun to turn pale too. Not as sickly white as her daughter, but she was still an abnormal shade of beige.

As the vampire doctors rushed to care for Mrs. Taylor, two other vampires ran into the plaza. They were both white to the bone. One of them had a nose that turned blue. So while everyone is scrambling for a cure to this strange disease, Natalie's mom joined her and the two vampires in quarantine. There are only four so far, hopefully it will stay that way.

Everybody is convinced this is the sorcerers' fault. A big, catastrophic plague occurs so of course it's the magical ones' doing. But I'm really starting to think otherwise.

Jonah is annoying, yes. He is devious, yes. But he is not evil. He would never intentionally hurt anyone. I know that.

No one else does, though.

I closed my journal and thought. I had to do something. I had to help Jonah in someway. Picking up my cell phone, I dialed his number.

"Hello?"

"Jonah! It's me, Noelle."

"Noelle? Why are you calling me?"

"Look this is important!" I checked my door see it was still shut. "I shouldn't be talking to you. But anyways, make sure you don't come to school today, unless you enjoy being torn into shreds."

"What are you talking about?"

"There's a disease. It all started yesterday afternoon when Natalie fainted and turned all white. Then this morning, her mom turned pale too. Then two other vampires. We have no idea what the disease is or how to cure it but it's spreading. The victims first turn white, then blue, and they lose energy."

"That's really creepy, but what do I have to do with this?"

"Everyone thinks you guys did this."

"What?" Jonah screamed. "You don't think that do you, Noelle? I didn't do anything, neither did Sarah or Pete."

"I know, I believe you. But Ethan and Clarence won't. That's why I'm warning you not to come to school today." I heard Lindsey calling for me downstairs. "I have to go."

"Okay thanks, Noelle. I owe you."

"Where is that little warlock?" Ethan said angrily as he cracked his knuckles, getting ready to punch the daylights out of Jonah once he got a hold of him.

I didn't even bother correcting him, "Please don't hurt him!"

"Why do you care? I thought you hated Jonah."

I thought about it. Did I hate Jonah? I say I do, but at the end of the day, do I really wish the worst to Jonah? Do I really hate him? "I don't."

For a second, Ethan looked at me like I had lost my mind but then went back on his hunt.

Then, Megan returned from going to her locker and started walking by my side. She walked in tired, deflated steps that matched her weary expression. To state the obvious, she had been a wreck.