Go

Reina never thought sleep could be so fulfilling; she felt empty yet full at the same time. She never wanted to open her eyes again, in a non-suicidal way. She was just so comfortable. 

"Reina-chan?"  Tomo whispered, laying a gentle hand on her shoulder. 

"Hmm five more minutes, Baa-chan." Reina mumbled, snuggling further into her pillow. Tomo smiled. She'd miss Reina so much. 

"I'm going now, Reina-chan. I came to say goodbye." Tomo added, her voice laced with an uncharacteristic sadness. "I won't be here when you wake up."

"When will you be back?" Reina asked, her eyes still closed tight. At first Tomo didn't speak, her words jumbled at the back of her throat. 

"I'm afraid I won't be coming back, Reina-chan. So you need to be a brave girl, like I know you are." Tomo sat beside her on the couch, tucking her hair behind Reina ear. She had been so brave these past weeks, she hadn't left her side all this time. Even though she couldn't open her eyes, Tomo knew Reina was there; she felt her holding her hand and dabbing her face with a damp flannel. 

She didn't want to go. But she had to. It was her time. 

"I love you so so much, my Reina-chan." Tomo whispered, tears streaming down her cheeks as she pressed a final kiss to her granddaughter's head. "Be strong. And know that it's ok to accept help every now and again. Take care, my love."

And with a single, fleeting kiss Tomo disappeared. 

Itachi watched as the medical ninja jotted down the Hitori Leader's time of death and placed a white sheet over her body before wheeling her body to the morgue. She hadn't suffered. Her transition into Yomi had been a quick one. Silently he said a prayer, wishing her safe passage, in hope that she was reunited with Hidekazu. 

His only dilemma now was breaking the news to a still unconscious Reina. He'd rather face a horde of S-Rank ninja than break the Hitori heiress' heart. 

But, he'd assume the role of villain in this instance. 

Taking a deep breath and swallowing, Itachi stepped forward to rouse the sleeping kunoichi only to halt when she sprang from sleep. 

"Baa-chan?" Reina called, immediately looking around the room. 

"Reina-chan~" Itachi began, clearing his throat. 

Reina looked around the room, her eyes suddenly landing on the empty hospital bed. "Where's Baa-chan? Have they taken her for another scan?" She asked rubbing her eyes. "I think they mentioned something about another ECG or something?" 

"Reina-chan, there's something you need to know." Itachi pressed, hesitant of how to proceed. 

"Hmm, maybe they took her for another ultrasound without telling me." Reina continued, obvious to the Elder Uchiha's rising anxiety. Slowly she unfolded herself from the couch, a little unsure how she ended up there, her mind still a little sleep muddled. 

"Reina-chan, Tomo-sama passed whilst you were unconscious." Itachi stated, unable to hold his words any longer. At first she didn't answer. Silence filled the room as she attempted to register his words. 

"But she was fine? She was completely fine a moment ago? She couldn't have died…" Reina pushed herself up, her legs wobbling beneath her. Itachi hovered nearby, ready to catch her again should her legs refuse to comply. 

"Reina-chan, Tomo-sama is dead. She coded a while back but because of the DNR, nothing more could be done." Itachi whispered, his chest tightening with every word. 

"No…" Reina muttered in disbelief. It couldn't be. She was fine a moment ago. "That can't be right. She was fine just a minute ago. She was here, talking to me." Reina rambled, her eyes welling up. "She was right here!" She shouted, pointing to the couch.