Chapter One- Glass Slipper

Chapter One - Glass Slipper

I jolt up with a gasp. Am I dead? My last memory was being hit with a curse and darkness followed by blinding pain.

My eyes take a second to adjust to the brightness of my surroundings. I reached my hand out, I was in control of my movements. I was alive, but how? How could I survive such a close attack from a powerful witch?

This was surreal, I had no idea where I was or how I got here. Where even was here?

I start to take in my surroundings once the initial confusion wore off. I was sitting in a small shabby looking bed. The wood bed frame was cracked with a large split in the headboard. The right side of the bed was sagging, and the sheets were holding on by a few threads. The grey bedding added to its overall ramshackle appearance.

I pushed the thin sheet off my body, it wasn't doing anything to combat the draft in the room. I stood up and immediately noticed I was not in my own clothes. Gone was my gown and in its place was a thin day dress, made of a similar quality to the bedsheet and had the same grey hue.

The room was unfamiliar and held no answers to my burning questions. I had never been here before, and I set out to find an escape.

My bare feet hit the hardwood floor, my weight making it creak. My legs felt wobbly at first, and I reached out to steady myself using the bed frame. My back still ached from hitting a tree, that felt like a second ago, and yet here I was with no recollection of what came after.

The room was dustry, and there was a small window opposite the bed where the light shone in. For a small window it brought in plenty of light, and showed the darkness of the rest of the room. I seemed to be in an attic of some sort from the wooden beams above and the stuffiness of the air.

I began walking to the window to see if the window gave me any idea to where I could be. I was struck by cobwebs every other step. Batting them away from my face only resulted in inhaling a cloud of dust.

I tried to pull the fabric closer to my body, the chill in the air was seeping into my bones. There wasn't enough in this room to provide warmth, starting with the thinness and shagginess of this dress.

I made it to the window and had to crouch down to see the outside. The glass showed a manicured lawn and hills of green as far as the eye can see. Nothing looked familiar, and panic immediately sunk in.

I had no idea where I was, how I got here and what happened to me. The lack of answers and the multiplying questions in my mind were quickly becoming too much. I sank to the floor and hugged my knees, barely feeling my arms quaking.

My heartbeat was racing, I could hear it thumping with every breath. My breathing was shallow, short quick breaths were barely heard by the thunderous sound of my pulse. The pulse grew louder with each passing second, it was hard to focus on anything else.