Chapter Six- Land & Sea

Chapter 6- Land & Sea

My eyes flickered open, and I awoke with a gasp. It did not take long to realize I was suspended in water, floating.

I reached for my throat amid a building panic. How long was I in water? I figured I did not have much time left before I drowned or died from lack of oxygen.

I waited too long before swimming upwards. There was no guarantee I would make it on time. I was halfway to the surface when I began to feel faint. Spots lightly lined my vision, it's appearance only made me more determined to swim faster.

I couldn't let myself think what would happen if I didn't make it up in time. I couldn't let my mind wander that far.

What felt like an eternity later, my head burst through the surface of the water. I opened my mouth to take a large gulp of aim when my throat started to close up.

My lungs were on fire, and for some reason I could not breath above ground. I tried taking short deep breaths, but nothing would enter my lungs no matter how much I willed it to.

My head began to feel fuzzy, and my vision just as blurred. I had trouble making out where the sea ended and the sky began.

I fell back into the water clumsily. I had no control over my body, and let the water consume it. I did not feel like I was going to die. The water beckoned me in like an old friend.

Who was I to refuse?

I could feel myself falling through the water and made o effort to stop myself. The water would protect me. I was in a calm euphoric trance.

My hands touch the side of my neck. I was able to breathe underwater easily. My fingers tracing over slashed indents, gulls. I look down and see my legs are gone and replaced with a shimmery turquoise tail. The scales reflected the sunlight from above, making them look like tiny crystals.

How did I not notice before I had a mermaid tail?

I always wanted to be a mermaid before being told they weren't real. I was living proof that they do in fact exist. It is disheartening to think this dream of mine as a child came to be as the price of a curse I still do not understand.

Knowing I was safe in the water and able to breathe properly, my curiosity took control. I wandered through the water marveling at the creatures I saw. A school of orange fish swam by and I could not take my eyes off of them. They did not see me as a threat, we coexisted in peace.

I was amazed by the vibrant colors I found in sea creatures. There was nothing like this found on land. I never wanted to leave, I wished I could stay in this blissful state forever.

I followed where the fish went, wanting to see more of their world. I was led to an underwater kingdom which left me breathless. The city was stunning.