Chapter Twelve- Old Magic

Chapter 12- Old Magic

I woke up standing upright and swaying on my feet, my vision taking a second to come to. My legs wobbled from the instability of the ground, only I wasn't standing on solid ground.

I was on a boat in the middle of the open sea. There was no land in sight. I hobbled over to the edge of the deck and peer over. My grip on the railing was much tighter than necessary but you couldn't blame me after past experience.

It was sunset and it gave the whole ship an orange aura and a coral glow.

"Anya." Someone calls. At this point I was accustomed to answering to names other than my own. Not to mention there was no one else he could have been referring to, the desk was empty besides us.

I shift my body towards his voice and move away from the edge of the boat. The first thing I noticed was his height, he didn't tower over me like the others did.

He had light brown hair that seemed even lighter with the glow of the passing sun. It framed his face and the ends flew upwards with the wind. He wore a simple white shirt with a brown vest over looking overly dressed for a simple day of sailing.

He beckoned me with a beaming grin and held his hand out for me to take. No words were exchanged as I accepted this open invitation.

He surprised me by pulling me closer to him and spinning me around. I giggled in glee and leaned into his touch.

He held me close, our chests less than an inch apart. I wondered if he could hear how fast my heart was beating.

We stayed in that position for a while, one arm on his shoulder and his arm on my waist swaying back and forth.

"I'm glad you came with me." He tells me staring intensely into my eyes. "I'm glad you're here."

I began to say I felt the same but the words died on my tongue. My vision blurs, temporarily blinding me.

When I could see again, I was no longer on the boat. My mystery man was nowhere to be found. Instead, I was suddenly in a sleek black gown that was too revealing for the standards back home.

Something was off with the curse, normally things don't change until I die. I had no memory of my death or the prolonged darkness that followed. Something wasn't right.

I smoothed out my dress and told myself not to panic over something I had no control over. My hands grazed over my neck and all the exposed skin around my shoulders. I felt so vulnerable.

I was in the back corner of a ballroom with my back facing away from the crowd. I pivoted to face the door for an escape.

From across the ballroom my eyes met another. The same pair of eyes that bore into my own a few moments ago. He was here!

We locked eyes and I rushed to meet him, maneuvering my way through the sea of people. I saw him do the same until we met in the center.

"You're here!." I told him, oddly relieved.