Chapter Twenty Eight- Esen

Chapter 28- Esen

Chapter 28- Esen

Colin whispered for me to open my eyes. I could feel things changing around me, I was hoping he had transported us out of there with magic. But when I opened my eyes it was clear that kind of magic did not exist.

We were still the jail call, only it did not feel like it was not the same cell. Everything was out of proportion. I did not recall the bars being so high nor everything else much larger.

I looked to my right to see Colin as a chameleon again. He was standing right next to me and eyelevel which meant I had to be the same size. A quick glance at my hands confirmed my suspicions.

I was a chameleon.

"Follow me." Colin muttered. I narrowed my yes at him, he could have talked this whole time?

Nevertheless, I followed his lead and began our ascent up the wall. It now made sense how he was able to get in. I had to admit his plan was clever. No one would suspect creatures crawling on the walls when disgusting rats roamed freely.

"Did you have the dream?" He asked as we climbed halfway up the wall.

"Should we really be speaking right now?" I countered. "What if the guards hear us?" My ears perked up to listen for any incoming sounds.

"Then they think they are going mad, to them there is no one else here." I hated when he had a point.

"How did you know I had a dream?" I questioned. I wanted to stop on the wall and interrogate him but our chances were better if we kept moving.

"I found Esen." He said her name in a hushed whisper, despite arguing we could talk normally. "She used dream magic to send you a warning, I wanted to make sure you received it."

"So the person talking to me in the dream was Esen?"

Colin shook his head. "She was giving the images in your mind information on Andres." I nodded to pretend I was following what he was saying. I had never heard of dream magic, which sounded unnecessarily complicated.

There was plenty I had left to learn on the subject of magic, preferably when I had more free time on my hands.

"Are we going to see her now?" I took a cue from him and opted in saying her name.

"Yes." He rushes. "Hurry, I can hear someone coming closer." With his urging, we scurried out the low bars of the cell window.

Chameleons were a smart choice, we were able to blend in with the color of the dirt and grass. No one paid us any mind, they were too busy looking straight ahead to notice what was happening by their feet.

We slithered through the courtyard, darting past strangers walking and children running. There were a few close calls of being stepped on, but we emerged unscathed.