Chapter Nine- Brute Strength

Chapter 9- Brute Strength

I woke up to the feeling of being continuously prodded. Something was poking me and it was quickly becoming uncomfortable.

I rubbed the drowsiness from my eyes and lifted my head to notice a wooden skewer jabbing me in the rib over and over again. It was part of a larger structure that seemed to be malfunctioning judging by that and the horrid clanking sound.

Intrigued, I moved close to examine the machine. It needed repairing, though it looked as if it was designed to wash clothes. There was a bucket with a shirt peeking out and soap bubbles spilling onto the floor.

The machine was interesting, I've never seen anything like it before. It's maket must be a mechanical genius for coming up with something so brilliant, minus the slight hiccup.

I held my breath pushing the skewer further into the machine hoping that would alleviate its troubles. I let out a sigh of relief when it stopped the noise. Now I just had to figure how to turn it off.

I played around with the knobs and gardens on the side hardily. I finally got it to stop, though if you asked me which button did it I would not have a clue.

I thought back to whoever made this. I could think of a dozen people whose lives this advancement would change.

My question was answered by looking two inches to my right. On the floor were scattered papers with plans and measurements for the device.

I was unable to comprehend the technical terms and the schematics in the drawings, but the sight itself was impressive.

I knew the machine needed more work and I chose to leave it as it. If I did anything else to it right now without the experience and the knowledge I would end up irreversibly damaging it.

Instead, I decided to lift myself off the ground and discover my new surroundings, not that the knowledge did my nay good. I never knew where I was, or how I got there, or how to to get back.

At this point, exploring was for my sanity than for any real answers.

I found myself in another congested cottage. There were scattered metal parts and various tools lying around. I picked up a sharp knife just to be safe, all while wondering why cottages were such a common theme in this curse.

I stepped outside feeling cramped inside. After being stuffed inside a crocodile's mouth, I've begun to feel squamish at tight spaces.

I inhaled deeply stepping outside, breathing in the fresh air. I missed the feeling of the sun and have slowly grown to hate its opposite.

I wander across the small yard, trailing my hands along the flowers and vegetable patch. I left the house and began walking in the direction of the others facing south. With any luck it would lead to a village.