Enigmas & Paradoxes

Eddie Kaspbrak sat on the top of his home smoking yet another cigarette. He didn't really care about what it could do to his body. He stopped that a long time ago. Now, while watching the night sky with stars that seemed to glitter like sequins sewn into a cosmic fabric, he thought about the boy that didn't speak. Richie Tozier, a boy whose very face contradicted itself. A bright smiling face with anxious eyes. Hugging arms on a scared body. It's like his whole demeanor said Hey! Even though I don't talk, I'm one of the happiest people you know but my body says I'm scared shitless! There's a mystery for you to figure out! Eddie thought that Richie was as if an enigma had kids with a paradox and out came Richie. But he enjoyed the mystery of Richie Tozier. He'd been around for a month now, and every day he showed up at the quarry waiting for one Loser or another. Yet he still hasn't spoken a word, and Eddie was enamored by the boy himself, although he'd never admit that aloud. He wouldn't entertain the fact that maybe the Notorious Eddie Kaspbrak has feelings for someone. Absolutely not. Such a notion was absurd. At least in Eddie's book. At school, Eddie Kaspbrak was famous for his looks, intelligence, and the fact that he turned down every person who came his way to ask him out, boy and girl. It didn't matter to him. Eddie never liked anyone romantically. Anyone outside the Losers Club was denied both friendship and relationship. But Richie? Richie was different and Eddie didn't know why he decided that when they crashed into each other a month ago. But what Eddie did know is that he was scared. Scared about the fact that he was starting to develop feelings for the boy who never spoke. That was another mystery Eddie had to crack. Eddie sighed and flicked the butt of his cigarette off the roof and slinked his way back into his room for a night filled with dreams of a silent movie star that looked eerily like Richie Tozier.